A study published in the Journal of Medicinal Food suggests that both extracts of grapefruit and helichrysum can aid in weight loss.
A lot of research has been done on the potential use of flavonoids for obesity management due to their antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. These properties of flavonoids are beneficial to people who are overweight or obese, who typically suffer from inflammation and have a higher likelihood of having insulin resistance.
For the current study, researchers from Spain and Austria looked at the antioxidant and anti-inflammatory effects of grapefruit and helichrysum extracts in overweight insulin-resistant rats. Grapefruit is a tropical citrus fruit rich in nutrients, antioxidants, and fiber, while helichrysum is a flowering plant with many healing properties, including antioxidant properties.
In conducting the study, they first studied two groups of rats: a control group and a high-fat sucrose group. For 22 days, they fed rats in the high-fat sucrose group with water and food as much as they can. After that, they put the rats back to a standard diet and re-assigned them into three groups. One group did not receive any supplements, while the remaining groups received one gram per kilogram body weight (g/kg BW) of grapefruit extract or two g/kg BW of helichrysum extract every day for five weeks.
The results revealed that rats supplemented with grapefruit and helichrysum extracts gained less body weight during the five-week treatment, and displayed lower levels of serum insulin and liver thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS). Insulin resistance was also improved in both groups. In addition, researchers observed decreases in tumor necrosis factor-alpha gene expression in body fat tissue and intestinal mucosa, and toll-like receptor 2 (TLR2) expression in the intestinal mucosa.
These results suggest that extracts of grapefruit and helichrysum can boost weight loss, lower elevated insulin levels and insulin resistance, and improve inflammation. These extracts can also reduce oxidative stress brought about by the high-fat sucrose diet.
With these findings, the researchers concluded that either extract of grapefruit or helichrysum may be used for losing weight and improving insulin resistance among overweight and obese people. (Related: 3 Natural drinks that can promote weight loss.)
Herbs for losing weight
Most weight-loss diet foods taste bland because sodium and sugar are often avoided or restricted. Fortunately, you can make your food tastier and boost your metabolism by adding spices and herbs. Listed below are some herbs that will help you burn fat faster:
- Black pepper: Black pepper contains high amounts of piperine that not only gives it its unique flavor, but also inhibits the formation of fat cells. In turn, this helps you to lose weight and maintain that weight later on.
- Cardamom: This popular Indian spice can aid in weight loss because it is thermogenic in nature. It also inhibits gas formation. Adding cardamom powder to your food can help you lose weight faster.
- Cumin: Research on overweight women has shown that adding a teaspoon of cumin seeds to your meals daily can add great flavor to your food and help you burn three times more fat.
- Ginger: Ginger also has a fat-burning property, making it a great weight loss herb. Additionally, it can help to regulate blood sugar, preventing blood sugar spikes after eating carbohydrate-rich foods. You can add it to your tea, salads, and many more.
- Rosemary: Rosemary aids in weight loss by increasing your metabolic rate and digestion.
- Turmeric: Research has shown that turmeric has a fat-burning effect. It is also a warming spice, which increases body heat and in turn boost metabolism.
Read more news stories and studies on natural ways to combat obesity by going to FightObesity.news.