(Natural News) Research published in Pharmaceutical Biology has found that a herbal medication called ojayeonjonghwan could be used to manage problems in the prostate gland — in particular, inflammation. The study, a collaboration between Kyung Hee University and Hoseo University in South Korea, investigated the medicine’s anti-inflammatory properties using both animal and laboratory settings.
“Traditional Korean medicine provides an excellent resource for biomaterials containing secondary metabolites that exhibit anti-inflammatory activities,” the team wrote in their report. “Ojayeonjonghwan is a traditional Korean prescription, which has been widely used for the treatment of prostatitis.”
In particular, the researchers looked at whether the herbal compound can relieve prostatitis, that is, the inflammation of the prostate gland in men. The condition, which makes urinating difficult and even painful, can affect men of all ages; however, it is more prevalent in men aged 50 or younger. Other common symptoms include flu-like symptoms and pain in the groin, pelvic area, or the genitals. Most cases of acute prostatitis are caused by either a bacterial infection or nerve damage following trauma or surgery. If left untreated, this can lead to complications such as bacterial infection of the blood (bacteremia), the formation of pus-filled cavities in the prostate (prostatic abscess), and even infertility.
To mimic prostatitis, the rats in the experiment were treated with thioglycollate. After a few days under observation, blood samples were drawn out of the mice. They were then treated with varying doses of ojayeonjonghwan and subjected to lipopolysaccharide to induce inflammation. Tho determine the efficacy of the herbal mixture, the team assessed biomarkers for inflammation, as well as conducted in vitro studies on it. The physicochemical properties of the extract were also appraised.
|Discover how to prevent and reverse heart disease (and other cardio related events) with this free ebook: Written by popular Natural News writer Vicki Batt, this book includes everything you need to know about preventing heart disease, reversing hypertension, and nurturing your cardiac health without medication. Learn More.|
Ojayeonjonghwan, used widely in traditional Korean medicine to treat prostate-related ills, comprises five potent medicinal herbs:
- Goji berries (Lycium barbarum Linne) — a plant known for its ability to lower the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Chinese dodder (Cuscuta chinensis Lamarck) — a highly potent aphrodisiac and liver tonic.
- Black raspberry (Rubus coreanum Miquel) — contains more antioxidants than vitamin E.
- Chinese plantain (Plantago asiatica Linne) — used in traditional Chinese medicine to treat asthma and blurred vision.
- Magnolia berry (Schisandra chinensis Baillon) — used in East Asian medicine for kidney and respiratory problems.
From the findings, the team found that ojayeonjonghwan inhibited the activation of pro-inflammatory proteins, which helped lower the chances of oxidation and cell damage. In the test, mice that were treated with the herbal mixture has significantly lower readings of biomarkers for prostate inflammation.
In addition, researchers believe the rich number of antioxidants in the herbal mixture contribute to its ability to manage symptoms of prostatitis. The team, in particular, found schizandrin and gomisin A — two compounds that have been reported to have anti-oxidant properties.
“OJ reduces inflammatory response, and this probably explains its positive impact on [prostatitis-associated] inflammation,” the researchers concluded. “Our data provide[s] evidence that OJ plays a role in prostatitis treatment.” (Related: What are the Signs and Symptoms of Prostatitis?)
Natural was to manage prostatitis
Indeed, prostatitis can happen to anyone; however, that doesn’t mean that can’t do anything about it. Here are some natural supplements that you can take to manage (and even treat) the condition.
- Saw palmetto — a common ingredient, it’s said to reduce the likelihood of developing prostatitis.
- Quercetin — a flavonoid found in certain plants that help reduce inflammation.
- Vitamin D — known as the sunshine vitamin, it helps target the area where the inflammation is located.
- Goldenseal — a herbal medicine for prostatitis, it has anti-inflammatory properties, thanks to its active ingredient berberine.
Learn more about natural treatments for prostatitis at NaturalCures.news.