(Natural News) Patients with chronic myeloid leukemia, who often suffer from anxiety, may find relief in bitter orange (Citrus aurantium L.) essential oil. A study published in the journal Phytotherapy Research reported that breathing in bitter orange essential oil could reduce anxiety in people with chronic myeloid leukemia, suggesting that it has potential use as a natural treatment for anxiety.
People with chronic myeloid leukemia often experience anxiety-related symptoms due to the bone marrow aspiration procedure, which is a painful, invasive procedure used in hematological diseases causing anxiety?associated symptoms.
The study, which was carried out by a team of researchers from Brazil examined the effect of bitter orange essential oil on the treatment of anxiety in patients with chronic myeloid leukemia. For this study, the research team gave the participants either bitter orange essential oil through inhalation, 10 milligrams (mg) of diazepam (a drug used to treat anxiety), or placebo. The research team also used psychometric scales and physiological measurements, such as blood pressure and cardiac and respiratory frequency, to evaluate the outcomes of the trials.
The results revealed that participants who inhaled bitter orange essential oil experienced a decrease in the psychometric scales, suggesting that the essential oil has an anxiolytic effect. Moreover, they exhibited improvements in their blood pressure and cardiac and respiratory frequency. Participants who took diazepam only experienced a reduction in diastolic pressure, while those who received the placebo did not experience any benefits.
Based on these findings, the research team concluded that bitter orange essential oil has an anxiolytic effect, which suggests that it can be used to improve anxiety-related symptoms in patients with chronic myeloid leukemia.
Bitter essential oil also relieves anxiety caused by crack withdrawal
A study on patients suffering from crack cocaine withdrawal found that bitter orange essential oil can help reduce anxiety. The study, published in the journal Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, examined the effect of bitter orange essential oil on the anxiety of patients experiencing crack withdrawal.
The study’s researchers, who were from the Federal University of Paraíba in Paraiba, Brazil, recruited 51 participants for the study. The participants received either a placebo or bitter orange essential oil administered through nebulization. Then, they underwent through a simulate public speaking to induce anxiety.
Results showed the inhalation of bitter orange essential oil significantly reduced the anxiety of the patients. From this, the researchers concluded that it could be used to reduce or manage the anxiety of patients suffering from crack cocaine withdrawal.
Natural ways to relieve anxiety
To relieve anxiety in other natural ways, try one of these tips:
- Get moving: Research suggests that exercise can ward off anxious energy and may help with anxiety caused by stressful circumstances.
- Meditate: Meditating can help relieve anxiety by slowing down racing thought.
- Write it: Anxiety may be more manageable for some people by expressing it through writing. Some studies show that journaling and other forms of writing can help people cope better with anxiety.
- Drink herbal teas: Drinking herbal teas, such as chamomile tea, can relieve anxiety and stress. Even the process of preparing an herbal tea is helpful for some people.
- Try cannabidiol oil: Cannabidiol (CBD) oil comes from the cannabis, or marijuana, plant. Research shows that it has significant potential to reduce anxiety and panic. Don’t worry — it will not make you “high” unlike other marijuana forms because it does not have tetrahydrocannabinol (THC).
Read more news stories and studies on the health benefits of bitter orange essential oil by going to EssentialOils.news.