(Natural News) Underneath your liver is a small pouch called the gallbladder. It’s an organ that stores the bile produced by the liver. The gallbladder plays an important role in flushing out toxic byproducts from the muscular system. Without it, our muscular strength and vitality would wane and we would be left with chronic fatigue and body pain. Since the gallbladder plays such a vital role in our body’s metabolism, maintaining good gallbladder health is necessary to keep the rest of our body healthy. There are many natural remedies that can be used to promote good gallbladder health, one of which is the ancient healing technique of acupressure.
Your gallbladder can easily be compromised by any number of health conditions if you’re not careful. Some common causes of gallbladder disorders are birth control, excessive medication, smoking, dehydration, uncontrolled stress, excessive consumption of alcohol, animal protein and processed foods, and exposure to pesticides, heavy metals and environmental toxins. (Related: Is your gallbladder healthy? 10 signs it may not be and what to do about it.)
Acupressure is more than just a simple massage. It involves the gentle pressing of key healing points in the body to stimulate the flow of qi or “healing energy.” By allowing this healing energy to flow freely throughout the body’s vital organs, acupressure helps stimulate the body’s natural self-healing process. Using your fingertip, knuckle or a soft-pointed object, you can apply a deep, probing pressure on key acupressure points to help your gallbladder heal itself.
How acupressure improves gallbladder health
Acupressure can provide the gallbladder with a number of health benefits. Here are some of those benefits:
- It releases tension. Since uncontrolled stress can affect the gallbladder, gallbladder distress is often related to emotional distress. By releasing the tension in your body, you also help eliminate feelings of anger, frustration, and resentment that hamper your gallbladder’s healing process.
- It increases circulation. An acupressure treatment can enhance muscle tone and increase blood circulation. With more blood flowing around your body, your organs function more efficiently, including your gallbladder.
- It reduces pain and discomfort. After eating fatty foods, you may feel uneasy or experience discomfort associated with the gallbladder. Acupressure eases away that discomfort and helps relieve pain.
- It helps in the attainment of spirituality and vibrant health. Acupressure restores and balances your body’s energy by utilizing it for healing. It also helps you maintain good health and alleviate stress by promoting relaxation. Additionally, it boosts your immune system to fight off diseases.
Other ways to support gallbladder health
If your gallbladder is affected by a health issue or infection, it may become painful and swollen. It may even develop gallstones. Here are some ways to support a healthy gallbladder:
- Exercise. Stay physically fit and active to prevent the formation of gallstones. You can also reduce gallbladder pain by maintaining a healthy weight. When combined with breathing techniques and meditation, yoga is good form of exercise to enhance gallbladder function.
- Dietary changes. Poor eating habits can lead to gallbladder disease and gallstones. Avoid greasy foods and foods high in sugars and fats. Instead, consume sulfur-rich foods such as garlic and onions, and cruciferous vegetables such as kale, broccoli and cauliflower. Drink lemon water to detoxify your gallbladder and help it produce bile. If you are experiencing blockages in your gallbladder, include coconut oil in your diet by using it as a cooking oil or simply adding a spoonful into a hot beverage.
- Use a hot compress. To relieve pain and pressure caused by the buildup of bile, apply a heated compress to the affected area for 10 to 15 minutes.
If you want to learn more about acupressure and other forms of traditional Chinese medicine, you can read more articles by going to ChineseMedicine.news.