(Natural News) Bergamot essential oil is highly valued because of its benefits on the mind – and in some cases, even the body. According to a study, it is so potent and effective that it has positive effects on the mental health and well-being of individuals who inhale its fragrance.
The study involved 57 participants ranging from the age of 23 to 70. All of these individuals were patients in a mental health treatment center. They were exposed to aromatherapy using bergamot essential oil for 15 minutes. The researchers reported that compared to the people in the control group, those who smelled the bergamot essential oil experienced positive feelings.
They took this as an indication that bergamot essential oil can be used in aromatherapy as an adjunct treatment for improving the mood and well-being of people, even of patients in mental treatment centers.
The study was published in the journal Phytotherapy Research.
Health benefits of bergamot essential oil
Just smelling the fragrance of bergamot essential oil provides a variety of health benefits. Here are some of them:
- Blood sugar control – The scent of bergamot essential oil stimulates the secretion of hormones that aid in maintaining healthy metabolic rates, as well as the production of digestive juices, bile, and insulin. All of these changes contribute to proper digestion, the efficient absorption of nutrients, and the effective breakdown and decomposition of sugar. Blood sugar is lowered as a result.
- Protection from infection – Even when used outside of aromatherapy, bergamot essential oil has many benefits. Past studies suggest that certain compounds in the oil have antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal effects. This means that bergamot essential oil may be applied to both the hair and the skin as an ingredient in soaps and other skincare products, to protect from germs and lead to a beautiful glow. The oil may also be ingested to treat infections in internal organs like the kidneys, colon, intestines, and urinary tract.
- Pain relief – The scent of the oil stimulates the secretion of hormones that numb the sensation of pain. Thus, bergamot essential oil is effective against headaches and even muscle pains. Doing so prevents you from using pain relief medications that may damage your internal organs as a result of frequent and long-term usage.
- Relaxation and stress relief – For those who experience chronic stress, the scent of bergamot essential oil could offer a much-needed reprieve. It stimulates the production and release of serotonin and dopamine, both of which are hormones that induce feelings of bliss, relaxation, and sedation.
- Elimination of bad odors – Bergamot essential oil disinfects the skin and kills germs that cause body odor. Like other citrus scents, it smells refreshing and does an excellent job of removing strong odors – such as body odor – making it an excellent natural deodorant.
- Relief from spasms – Bergamot essential oil offers relief from conditions characterized by uncontrollable spasms. These include cramps, convulsions, and painful muscle contractions, as well as chronic coughing and asthma. (Related: The Bergamot fruit, more used for perfumes and Earl Grey tea, found to be a natural anti-cholesterol remedy.)
- Faster healing – The disinfectant properties of bergamot essential oil make it an effective antiseptic that prevents wounds and burns from becoming infected. This way, it speeds up the healing process of skin injuries and wounds, as well as ulcers and eczemas.
Discover new and effective ways to use essential oils at Remedies.news.