(Natural News) Not everything that the body produces is good for your health. Different metabolic processes also have by-products, such as free radicals, that are toxic if they stay in the body. Moreover, there are also many toxins from the environment that find their way inside the body. Fortunately, people have a trusty pair of kidneys that can eliminate not just the toxins produced by the body, but even many of those that come from the outside.
The body eliminates these harmful substances through the urine. However, if the kidneys aren’t healthy, their ability to filter out toxins will be significantly impaired so some substances might stay in the body. Over time, these will accumulate and form kidney stones, which can be very painful to remove from the body. This is why it’s important to regularly detox the kidneys. You can easily do this by eating the following foods:
- Cranberry — This tasty red fruit is good not just for the kidneys but also for the urinary tract. It’s rich in vitamin D, fiber, and antioxidants that help the kidneys eliminate toxins and bacteria while also reducing the risk of kidney stones by removing calcium oxalate, which is one of its components.
- Cabbage — Cabbage is a cruciferous vegetable that is known for its many health benefits. It contains antioxidants like polyphenols, sulfuric compounds, and vitamin C that neutralize harmful free radicals produced by metabolic processes. Moreover, cabbage also contains low amounts of potassium, which is regulated by the kidneys. Although the body needs this mineral, having too much of it can lead to a condition called hyperkalemia. If you eat too many potassium-rich foods, the kidney would have to work harder to get rid of the excess minerals.
- Beets — One of the ways beets help the kidneys is by raising the acidity of urine to prevent toxins from accumulating and forming stones. Moreover, beets are also rich in antioxidants that are great for kidney health.
- Dark berries — Flavonoids are a type of antioxidant found in blueberries, blackberries, grapes, and cherries. These compounds don’t just give berries their color, they also act as antioxidants and improve blood flow so that kidneys get the oxygen and nutrients they need to function properly. In addition, flavonoids aid in detoxifying blood and the tissues.
- Herbal tea — Drinking tea made from parsley, goldenrod, dandelion root, horsetail, or celery root effectively removes toxins that remain in the kidneys.
- Lemon — Like beets, lemons also increase acidity to prevent kidney stone formation.
- Vegetable and fruit juices — Juices have many health benefits and one of these is improving kidney function. You can choose to go for fruit juices since they are sweeter but if you want a more powerful drink then go for vegetable juices or a combination of the two. Some of the most commonly used ingredients for juices include berries, apples, pineapples, spinach, kale, cucumber, celery, zucchini, and carrots. (Related: 5 amazing knockout kidney detox juice recipes.)
Symptoms of kidney stones
Although most kidney stones are easily eliminated with the help of detoxing foods, there are some that might get stuck in your kidneys or in the tube that connects to the bladder. If this happens, you might need the help of healthcare professionals to get rid of them. Some of the symptoms that you might experience in these cases include:
- Severe pain in the sides or back
- Painful urination
- Pink, red, or brown urine
- Foul-smelling urine
- Persistent need to urinate
- Small amounts of urine
- Fever and chills
For more articles about foods that are good for the body, visit Food.news