(Natural News) Many people turn to sweets when they need a mood booster. Unfortunately, the repercussions that sugar has on health last for way longer than the joy that it brings. Excessive sugar intake can increase the risk of Type 2 diabetes, which can damage the different organs when left untreated. Although conventional treatments for diabetes exist, most of these are associated with adverse side effects. Safer alternatives to these medications can be easily found in nature, you just have to know where to look.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 100 million Americans suffer from diabetes or prediabetes. If people are not careful with the amount of sugar they eat, they might soon become a part of this statistic. In addition, other risk factors of diabetes include being overweight and having elevated blood pressure, cholesterol, and triglyceride levels. When not managed correctly, diabetes can become even more troublesome since it can cause complications like heart disease, liver and kidney damage, blindness, hearing loss, depression, and dementia.
Natural ways of regulating glucose levels include eating healthier foods and participating in physical activities. However, for some people who need more help, there are also natural supplements that can regulate glucose and insulin. These include the following:
- Berberine — This alkaloid, which is used in traditional Chinese and Ayurvedic medicine, is derived from the roots and stems of goldensaal, Oregon grape, barberry, and turmeric. It exhibits potent effects against microbes, which is why it is commonly used for treating diarrhea and intestinal parasites. Patients with Type 2 diabetes can take berberine to reduce glucose levels. Previous studies have shown that the effects of this compound are comparable to those of Metformin, a common antidiabetic drug. It is recommended to take two 500 mg capsules of berberine every day for at least three months to experience significant improvements.
- Cinnamon — Cinnamon reduces not just glucose but cholesterol and triglyceride levels as well. To improve glucose levels, patients should take between 120 mg to six grams of cinnamon every day for up to four months.
- Curcumin — The active ingredient found in turmeric is curcumin. This compound has anti-inflammatory properties that make it an effective treatment against arthritis and other chronic conditions. Taking curcumin is also an effective way of preventing prediabetes from progressing into diabetes since it significantly reduces glucose levels. There are many different ways to use curcumin. People can choose to take it in its capsule form or as tea.
- Alpha-lipoic acid — Cruciferous vegetables like spinach and broccoli are rich in many phytochemicals. One of these is alpha-lipoic acid (ALA). ALA is a potent antioxidant that can also improve insulin sensitivity and glucose levels. Concentrated supplements of this compound can have doses ranging from 300 mg to 1,800 mg. For diabetic patients, it is recommended to take this supplement daily for four weeks. Meanwhile, prediabetes patients can take it for just two weeks and their insulin sensitivity will already have significant improvements.
- Ginseng — There are three varieties of ginseng, namely American, Panax, and Siberian ginseng. Sufficient evidence has been gathered to prove the effectiveness of American and Siberian ginseng in lowering glucose levels but there is still no proof that Panax has the same effects. American ginseng is more effective between the two, needing only a daily dosage of 100 to 200 mg for two months. Meanwhile, people have to take 480 mg of Siberian ginseng for three months.
- Milk thistle — Like cinnamon, milk thistle also lowers glucose, cholesterol, and triglyceride levels. Moreover, taking this plant also improves insulin sensitivity. People commonly take milk thistle either as a capsule or as a tea.
|Discover how to prevent and reverse heart disease (and other cardio related events) with this free ebook: Written by popular Natural News writer Vicki Batt, this book includes everything you need to know about preventing heart disease, reversing hypertension, and nurturing your cardiac health without medication. Learn More.|
With the help of these supplements, you can manage diabetes better and avoid complications associated with this disease. (Related: Diabetes compromises the immune system: Study finds diabetics face increased risk of serious infections.)
Learn more about natural remedies for diabetes by visiting DiabetesCure.news today.