(Natural News) Do you have high uric acid levels? This East Asian herb may be the solution. A study published in the Chinese Journal of Natural Medicines has found that vaticaffinol, a resveratrol tetramer derived from the extracts of gurjum tree (Dipterocarpus alatus), is an effective natural medicine for hyperuricemia.
The study, which was conducted by a team of researchers from Nanjing University in China, assessed the anti-hyperuricemic and anti-inflammatory effects and possible mechanisms of vaticaffinol in oxonate-induced hyperuricemic mice.
For the study, the research team induced hyperuricemia in mice by giving them potassium oxonate. After an hour, the team treated the mice with vaticaffinol. The vaticaffinol treatment was done once a day for a week.
Results of the vaticaffinol treatment revealed that the hyperuricemic mice experienced a great decrease in uric acid levels. At the same time, the mice experienced improvements in the functioning of their kidneys. In addition, the vaticaffinol treatment reduced inflammation in the kidneys of hyperuricemic mice.
Based on the findings of the study, the research team concluded that vaticaffinol, which is found in gurjum plant, can be used to prevent and treat hyperuricemia with kidney inflammation.
Hyperuricemia develops when the blood has too much uric acid. Uric acid is a chemical in the blood created when a substance called purine is broken down in the body. Purine is typical food in foods such as red meat, organ meat, seafood, and beans. Normally, the body removes uric acid through urination. However, there can be too much uric acid in the blood when the body makes excess uric acid or is unable to excrete enough of it. Having excessive levels of uric acid can result in diseases like gout, which is a painful type of arthritis. High uric acid levels are also linked to other health problems, such as heart disease, diabetes, and kidney problems. (Related: Acupuncture found to help normalize uric acid levels, reduce risk of gout and kidney damage.)
Other natural treatments for high uric acid levels
Since purine is found in certain foods, it is important to avoid these foods if you have high uric acid levels. In addition, there are also certain foods that can help you regulate high uric acid levels. These include:
- Apple cider vinegar – Apple cider vinegar works as a natural cleanser and detoxifier. It also contains malic acid which aids in breaking down and removing uric acid from the body. To use apple cider vinegar in lowering uric acid levels, mix one teaspoon of organic apple cider vinegar with a glass of water. Drink this every day to reap its benefits.
- Berries – Research has shown that eating dark-colored berries like cherries, blueberries, and strawberries can help reduce inflammation and stiffness because of their anthocyanin content.
- Celery seeds – Celery seeds contain high levels of omega-6 fatty acids and other diuretic oils that help remove the excess liquids in the body by encouraging the kidneys to flush out the uric acid. These natural diuretics alkalizes the blood and reduces inflammation in the body. To reap celery seeds’ benefits, take half teaspoon of dried celery seeds once daily and drink plenty of water after.
- Fiber-rich foods – Eating foods rich in fiber can help regulate uric acid levels in the blood. This is because the fiber-rich food can absorb the excess uric acid the blood and help remove it from the body. Eat good sources of soluble fiber such as oats, bananas, and grains.
- Lime juice – Lime contains citric acid which helps in dissolving uric acid. Therefore, drinking lime juice at least twice a day can help remove excess uric acid.
Read more news stories and studies on alternative medicines for high uric acid levels by going to AlternativeMedicine.news.