(Natural News) Men with fertility problems may improve their sperm quality naturally with the help of walnut leaf. This plant has been used in folk medicine to enhance male fertility. A study published in the Journal of Complementary and Integrative Medicine provided scientific evidence on the efficiency of the walnut leaf as a male fertility enhancer.
In the study, researchers from the Federal University of Technology in Akure, Nigeria evaluated the effect of aqueous extract of walnut leaves on male fertility. They randomly divided 25 mice into five groups: one group served as the control group; another group served as the standard treatment and was given a standard infertility treatment drug called clomiphene citrate; and the three remaining groups received walnut leaf extract at doses of 50 milligrams per kilogram (mg/kg) body weight, 500 mg/kg body weight, and 1,000 mg/kg body weight. The mice received the treatment for 21 consecutive days.
Based on the results of the experiment, the walnut leaf extracts significantly increased testicle weight and epididymis weight. The walnut leaf extracts also significantly increased the level of serum testosterone, luteinizing hormone, follicle-stimulating hormone, and sperm count, motility, and viability. The researchers also saw a significant decrease in sperm abnormality.
These beneficial effects enhanced as the dosage increased. The walnut leaf extract at the highest concentration, which was 1,000 mg/kg body weight, exhibited a more significant effect than the standard drug.
Based on the findings of the study, the researchers concluded that the walnut leaf has fertility-enhancing properties that help increase production of sperm and sperm quality.
More natural ways to boost male fertility
Fertility problems in men are commonly due to issues that affect the proper functioning of the testicles, hormone imbalances, and blockages in the male reproductive organs. Fortunately, there are natural ways to boost sperm count and increase fertility in men. These include the following:
- Have a healthy lifestyle: Having a healthy lifestyle is important because it affects overall health, including fertility. A healthy lifestyle may include limiting alcohol consumption, losing excess weight, and getting enough sleep. Heavy consumption of alcohol may reduce testosterone levels and impair semen quality, while lack of or excessive sleep also affects semen quality. Obesity has also been linked to infertility.
- Get regular exercise: In addition to boosting confidence and physical performance, exercise also boosts levels of testosterone. Research has shown that men engaging in regular exercise have higher testosterone levels and better semen quality than men who do not exercise.
- Get enough antioxidants: Getting enough antioxidants, such as vitamin C, may help the body fight oxidative stress that results in infertility in men. Some studies have also shown that taking vitamin C supplements may improve fertility, particularly enhancing sperm count and motility and reducing deformed sperm cells. Snacking on walnuts, which are rich in antioxidants, can also boost fertility.
- Destress: It is important to relax and minimize stress, because too much stress may negatively affect fertility and reduce sexual satisfaction. High levels of cortisol, the stress hormone, can decrease testosterone levels. Manage your stress by taking a walk in nature, meditating, exercising, or spending time with your friends.
- Take vitamin D supplements: Testosterone levels can also be increased with vitamin D. Studies have shown that men who were deficient in vitamin D tended to have low testosterone levels.
- Try ashwagandha (Withania somnifera): This Indian medicinal herb has been proven to improve male fertility by enhancing testosterone levels, sperm count, sperm motility, and antioxidant status.
- Eat zinc-rich foods: Having enough zinc may increase testosterone levels and improve fertility in zinc-deficient men. Increase zinc levels by eating animal foods, such as eggs, fish, meat, and shellfish. (Related: Boost male fertility with the right foods.)
Read more news stories and studies on natural fertility enhancers by going to AlternativeMedicine.news.