(Natural News) The leaves of the soursop (Annona muricata) can be used as a natural remedy that affects the growth and spread of triple negative breast cancer. Korean researchers reported that the extract caused the cancer cells to destroy themselves through an apoptosis process found only in this type of cell.
The study was supported by the National Research Foundation of Korea. It was published in the journal Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine.
- Also called graviola, the soursop hails from the American and Caribbean tropics. It provides many natural products and has displayed numerous biological activities, including anticancer activity.
- Samples of the soursop leaf extract were acquired for testing. The solution was used to treat the MDA-MB-231 line of triple negative breast cancer cells as well as a control group made of ordinary breast cancer cells.
- The soursop leaf extract contained many annonaceous acetogenins. The most common type was annonacin isomers.
- The extract was able to greatly decrease the viability of both cancer cell lines within 48 hours. In addition, the MBA-MB-231 cell’s abilities to move and invade other parts of the body cells were also greatly impaired.
- In ordinary breast cancer cells, apoptosis relied on the presence of ER(+). Meanwhile, the triple negative breast cancer cells underwent apoptosis after the extract triggered a pathway unique to these cells.
The researchers urged further studies to further confirm the potential of soursop as a means of treating triple negative breast cancer.
The full version of the study can be viewed at this link.
If you want to read more articles about natural anti-cancer remedies, check out AntiCancer.news.
Kim JY, Dao TTP, Song K, Park SB, Jang H, Park MK, Gan SU, Kim YS. ANNONA MURICATA LEAF EXTRACT TRIGGERED INTRINSIC APOPTOTIC PATHWAY TO ATTENUATE CANCEROUS FEATURES OF TRIPLE NEGATIVE BREAST CANCER MDA-MB-231 CELLS. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 17 July 2018;2018:1–10. DOI: 10.1155/2018/7972916