(Natural News) A study published in BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine revealed that Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) can help lower the risk of developing liver disease. The authors observed the protective effects of Liuweiwuling tablets on rat subjects during the 12-week study.
- Liuweiwuling tablets are an herbal product that has protective effects on the liver and on aminotransferase levels. The product has been approved by the Chinese State Food and Drug Administration (CFDA).
- Clinical studies have shown that LWWL can inhibit collagen production and reduce the levels of liver fibrosis markers in the serum.
- For this study, the research team set out to determine the pharmacological effects of LWWL, especially since the product can potentially treat liver fibrosis.
- The researchers induced hepatic fibrosis in the rats using carbon tetrachloride (CCl4) treatment. Meanwhile, a subset of rats received daily intraperitoneal injections of either colchicine or vehicle from the ninth to the 12th week of testing.
- After 12 weeks of testing, the rats were dissected. Researchers noted pathological changes in hepatic tissue.
- Study results revealed that LWWL helped reverse histological fibrosis and liver injury among the subjects.
- The liver tissue of the rats also had a reduced hydroxyproline content and decreased alpha-smooth muscle actin (alpha-SMA) and collagen type I (collagen I) expression.
- LWWL also suppressed hepatic stellate cell (HSC) activation by minimizing the expression of two profibrogenic factors: transforming growth factor beta 1 (TGF-beta 1) and platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF). The expression levels of tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases 1 (TIMP1) and TIMP2, which help control extracellular matrix (ECM) degradation, were reduced after CCl4 injury in the LWWL-treated subjects.
The study authors note that based on their findings, LWWL can be used as a potential therapeutic agent to limit fibrogenesis and treat patients with liver disease.
Find the full text of study at this link.
You can read more articles about other traditional remedies for liver diseases at NaturalCures.news.
Liu H, Zhang Z, Hu H, Zhang C, Niu M, Li R, Wang J, Bai Z, Xiao X. PROTECTIVE EFFECTS OF LIUWEIWULING TABLETS ON CARBON TETRACHLORIDE-INDUCED HEPATIC FIBROSIS IN RATS. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2018;18(1). DOI: 10.1186/s12906-018-2276-8.