(Natural News) Cholesterol naturally occurs in the human body, but having high levels of this type of fat is linked to an increased risk of developing heart disease. Thankfully, there are some natural and homeopathic remedies that can help reduce high cholesterol levels.
Cholesterol is a type of fat in your blood, and age, diet, activity levels, genetics and other factors affect your risk of developing high cholesterol. The body makes all the cholesterol it needs, but you also get cholesterol from certain kinds of foods.
High cholesterol is a major risk factor for heart disease and it also makes you more susceptible to a heart attack. High cholesterol levels may also increase your risk of stroke. Specifically, high levels of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol or “bad” cholesterol increase the risk of developing these conditions.
If you have high cholesterol, consult your healthcare provider to determine which homeopathic remedies can help lower your cholesterol levels. A consultation is necessary since it will also determine if new supplements or remedies are suitable for your condition.
Natural medicines come from natural sources such as plants, animals, minerals, and safe chemicals. Listed below are some natural and homeopathic remedies that can help reduce your high cholesterol levels along with associated health concerns such as heart disease and stroke.
- Garlic – Garlic can help reduce cholesterol levels, but this requires consuming large quantities of the beneficial herb. To remedy this, you can take garlic in capsule form instead. According to a study by Dr. Benjamin Lau, patients with moderately high cholesterol who take four capsules a day of Kyolic, an odorless liquid garlic extract, saw their cholesterol levels drop an average of 44 points after six months. (Related: Time for a second serving: Garlic and onions reduce the effects of a high-fat diet.)
- Lecithin – Lecithin, a fatty substance, helps maintain the health of cell membranes in the body. Lecithin contains choline, inositol, linoleic acid, and vitamin B. It’s a fatty substance, but lecithin emulsifies fats and helps prevent cardiovascular disease. The substance can also help eliminate excess LDL cholesterol in the body. Lecithin is available in capsule or granule form at most health, homeopathic, or supplement stores.
- Omega-3 fatty acids – Some kinds of fish, such as herring, lake trout, salmon, sardines, tuna, and other fatty fish, contain omega-3 fatty acids. Omega-3s can help lower your risk of dying from heart disease. Consume one or two servings of fatty fish weekly to boost your heart health. Other sources of omega-3s include olive oil, flax seeds, soybeans, and walnuts. However, experts believe that consuming fatty fish offers more benefits compared to other sources of omega-3s or supplements.
- Vitamin E – Taking high amounts of vitamin E that exceed a level you can consume from your diet alone can help boost high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol or “good” cholesterol and fight LDL cholesterol. HDL cleans artery walls while LDL oxidizes in the body and causes cholesterol to harden so it turns into dangerous arterial plaque. Consume 400 units of vitamin E in supplement form every day to prevent LDL from oxidizing and to boost your HDL levels.
Lifestyle changes that can help lower cholesterol levels
Pair homeopathic remedies with these lifestyle changes to effectively reduce your cholesterol levels:
- Follow a heart-healthy diet that includes foods full of soluble fiber and omega-3 fatty acids.
- Exercise regularly.
- Limit your consumption of foods high in saturated fats.
- Maintain a healthy weight and/or lose excess weight.
- Manage your stress levels.
- Quit smoking.
If you have high cholesterol, make the necessary lifestyle changes and try some homeopathic remedies to reduce your risk of developing heart disease.
You can read more articles about natural ways to lower your cholesterol at Healing.news.