(Natural News) Red sage (Salvia miltiorrhiza) extracts have been used in traditional Asian medicine to treat various diseases ranging from heart conditions to liver problems. In a study published in the BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, red sage extracts combined with a liquefied calcium supplement was found to prevent osteoporosis due to estrogen deficiency.
- A team of researchers from Kyung Hee University in Korea evaluated the protective effects of red sage extracts combined with liquefied calcium supplement against osteoporosis.
- In conducting the study, the research team orally gave ovariectomized mice with different doses of red sage extracts, a combination of red sage extracts and liquefied calcium, or liquefied calcium every day.
- The treatment lasted for a period of 12 weeks.
- After the treatment, the mice were subjected to micro-computed tomography (micro-CT) analysis to evaluate structural bone loss.
- Results of the micro-CT analysis showed that oral treatment of the combination of red sage extracts and liquefied calcium prevented tibial bone loss, sustained trabecular bone state, and improved bone biochemical markers.
- It also reduced levels of receptor activator of nuclear factor kappa-B ligand (RANKL), which plays a role in osteoclast regulation, osteocalcin, and bone alkaline phosphatase (BALP).
- It also exhibited better protection against estrogen-dependent bone loss compared to red sage extracts and liquefied calcium.
The findings of the study suggested that red sage extracts combined with liquefied calcium supplement may prevent osteoporosis by improving bone mineral density.
Read the full text of the study at this link.
To read more stories on natural medicines like red sage, visit AlternativeMedicine.news today.
Park B, Song HS, Kwon JE, Cho SM, Jam S-A, Kim MY, Kang SC. EFFECTS OF SALVIA MILTIORRHIZA EXTRACT WITH SUPPLEMENTAL LIQUEFIED CALCIUM ON OSTEOPOROSIS IN CALCIUM-DEFICIENT OVARIECTOMIZED MICE. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 20 December 2017; 17(545). DOI: 10.1186/s12906-017-2047-y