(Natural News) Cat’s whiskers, an herb traditionally used to treat gout, arthritis, and other conditions related to inflammation, has been confirmed to improve symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis. A team of researchers from Malaysia and Italy looked at the potential of cat’s whiskers extract to treat rheumatoid arthritis in a study published in the journal BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine.
For the study, the research team used 50 percent ethanol extract of cat’s whiskers to treat rheumatoid arthritis. In order to assess the effects of cat’s whisker against rheumatoid arthritis, the team used the in vitro heat denaturation test and arthritic mice.
Based on the results of the study, treatment with cat’s whiskers ethanol extract inhibited paw edema in acute and chronic models of inflammation in a dose-dependent manner. Moreover, treatment substantially suppressed the production of inflammatory signaling cytokines: tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha), interleukin 1 (IL-1), cyclooxygenase-1 (COX-1), and cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2). In addition, the treatment prevented paw edema and reduced the serum levels of TNF-alpha and IL-1.
Based on the X-rays of the mice’s synovial joint of the hind leg, the team observed considerable improvement in joint strength and recovery of foot and ankle bones from degeneration and osteoporotic lesions. The cat’s whiskers ethanol extract also demonstrated significant protection of cartilage and soft tissue. Furthermore, the team discovered that cat’s whiskers ethanol extract contains anti-arthritic effects and powerful antioxidant activity, as well as high phenolic and total flavonoid content.
The research team concluded that cat’s whiskers ethanol extract could potentially be used as an alternative medicine for the prevention and treatment of rheumatoid arthritis and other chronic inflammatory disorders.
Cat’s whiskers and its many health benefits
Cat’s whiskers are widely used for various medicinal purposes. This herbal plant contains anti-inflammatory activities. It is available in the form of dried leaves, tablets, extracts, tea sachets, and capsules. Listed below are some of the health benefits cat’s whiskers offer:
- Cat’s whiskers aids in respiratory problems — Cat’s whiskers can help treat respiratory problems, such as asthma and cough. It is often combined with other powerful herbs that are also effective in treating respiratory problems.
- It lowers blood pressure — Cat’s whiskers contains chemicals that help in lowering blood pressure levels.
- It alleviates breathing and nerve-related problems — Cat’s whiskers can treat shortness of breath and nerve-related problems.
- It contains anti-fungal properties — Cat’s whiskers contains compounds that help prevent the growth of parasites. This herbal medicine does this by interrupting the nutrient supply chain of the fungus. Thus, cat’s whiskers could be applied to the fungal-infected area.
- It treats and prevents bladder problems — Cat’s whiskers is widely used for its diuretic action, which helps increase the flow of urine by relaxing the muscles of the walls of the internal vessels. Additionally, because of cat’s whiskers’ ability to cleanse tracts and ease the functioning of the system, this herb can effectively treat bladder infections and prevent bladder problems in the future.
- It treats kidney disorders — Cat’s whiskers is widely referred to as the kidney plant because of its kidney-saving benefits. It is believed to remove kidney stones and treat acute and chronic kidney infections.
- It contains antioxidant properties — Cat’s whiskers has been consumed on the islands of Java, where it is known as Java tea. The people of Java consume this herb mostly because of its detoxifying properties, acting as a natural cleanser and eliminating toxins in the body.
- It regulates blood sugar — According to several studies, cat’s whiskers regulate blood sugar levels. (Related: Nutritional analysis PROVES the effectiveness of herbal medicine in treating diabetes.)
Read more news stories and studies on alternative treatments for arthritis and similar conditions by going to AlternativeMedicine.news.