(Natural News) Cat’s whiskers (Orthosiphon stamineus) has been traditionally used to treat gout, arthritis, and other conditions related to inflammation. Its potential to treat rheumatoid arthritis was examined in a study published in the journal BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine.
- A team of researchers from Malaysia and Italy used 50 percent ethanol extract of cat’s whiskers as treatment for rheumatoid arthritis.
- The research team evaluated the extract’s anti-arthritic activity using the in vitro heat denaturation test and arthritic mice.
- Results revealed that the treatment with cat’s whiskers ethanol extract led to the inhibition of paw edema in acute and chronic models of inflammation in a dose-dependent manner.
- The treatment also significantly prevented the production of inflammatory signaling cytokines: tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-alpha), interleukin 1 (IL-1), cyclooxygenase-1 (COX-1), and cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2).
- In addition, the treatment inhibited paw edema and reduced serum levels of TNF-alpha and IL-1.
- After looking at the X-rays of the mice’ synovial joint of the hind leg, the research team noticed a considerable improvement in joint strength and recovery of tibia-talus bones from degeneration and osteoporotic lesions.
- The treatment also exhibited significant protection of cartilage and soft tissue.
- Researchers also found that cat’s whiskers ethanol extract possesses anti-arthritic effect and potent antioxidant activity, as well as high phenolic and total flavonoid content.
In conclusion, the findings of the study suggested that cat’s whiskers ethanol extract could be beneficial for preventing and treating rheumatoid arthritis and other chronic inflammatory disorders.
Read the full text of the study at this link.
To read more stories on alternative medicine, visit AlternativeMedicine.news today.
Tabana YM, Al-Suede FSR, Khadeer Ahamed MB, Dahham SS, Ahmed Hassan LE, Khalilpour S, Taleb-Agha M, Sandai D, Abdul Majid AS, Abdul Majid AMS. CAT’S WHISKERS (ORTHOSIPHON STAMINEUS) TEA MODULATES ARTHRITIS PATHOGENESIS VIA THE ANGIOGENESIS AND INFLAMMATORY CASCADE. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 24 November 2016; 16(480). DOI: 10.1186/s12906-016-1467-4