(Natural News) Research has found that English walnut (Juglans regia L.) leaf has the ability to prevent and treat streptozotocin-induced diabetic peripheral neuropathy. The study, which was published in the journal BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, investigated the therapeutic effects of English walnut leaf extract against diabetic neuropathy in mice.
- A team of researchers from Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences and Lorestan University of Medical Sciences in Iran induced diabetic peripheral neuropathy by injecting streptozotocin in mice.
- Then, the research team gave 200 milligrams per kilogram body weight (mg/kg) of English walnut leaf extract before or after the development of neuropathy to a subgroup of the streptozotocin-induced mice.
- Other diabetic mice were only given 200 mg/kg of isotonic saline every day.
- Then, the team assessed the effects of English walnut leaf extract on the diabetic neuropathy.
- Results revealed that streptozotocin caused the degeneration of the sciatic nerve, the largest and longest nerve, in mice.
- The treatment of English walnut leaf extract improved this degeneration.
- After the treatment of English walnut leaf extract, the expressions of caspase-3, cyclooxygenase-2 (COX-2), and inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS) were also attenuated.
- In addition, the treatment reduced blood sugar and attenuated lipid peroxidation and nociceptive response, and enhanced antioxidant status in the sciatic nerve of diabetic rats.
- These results suggested that the English walnut leaf extract improved the symptoms of diabetic neuropathy.
In conclusion, the findings of the study indicated that the English walnut leaf extract can prevent and improve peripheral diabetic neuropathy due to its antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and antiapoptotic properties.
Read the full text of the study at this link.
To read more stories on alternative diabetes treatments, visit DiabetesScienceNews.com today.
Nasiry D, Khalatbary AR, Ahmadvand H, Amiri FT, Akbari E. PROTECTIVE EFFECTS OF METHANOLIC EXTRACT OF JUGLANS REGIA L. LEAF ON STREPTOZOTOCIN-INDUCED DIABETIC PERIPHERAL NEUROPATHY IN RATS. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2 October 2017; 17(476). DOI: 10.1186/s12906-017-1983-x