(Natural News) Looking for a powerful natural supplement that will support brain health? Try taking bacopa (Bacopa monnieri) every day. Bacopa has bacopasides, a unique group of bioactive compounds. The two main bacopasides identified are bacopaside A and bacopaside B. Together, these compounds make up eight percent of bacopa’s dry weight. Bacopasides are believed to play essential roles in the benefits that bacopa provides. The following are some of the benefits and mechanisms of bacopa for the brain:
- Bacopa increases stress resilience – Bacopa is part of a small group of herbs called adaptogens, which increases resilience to stress and enhance overall health by putting the body into a state of balance called homeostasis. Homeostasis maintains stability in the body, such as keeping the body temperature relatively constant. Bacopa, like all adaptogens, maintains the balance of the levels of the potentially damaging stress hormone cortisol and supports adrenal function.
- Bacopa regulates neurotransmitters – Bacopa regulates neurotransmitters, biochemicals responsible for many functions of the brain, such as mood, appetite, one’s ability to focus, concentrate, learn, and many more.
- Bacopa improves blood flow to the brain – Taking a bacopa supplement daily can lead to improved blood flow to the brain. Having a better blood flow to the brain is essential because blood transports oxygen, nutrients, hormones, neurotransmitters, and glucose to the brain.
- Bacopa promotes new nerve cell formation – Promoting the growth of new nerve cell endings called dendrites are important because dendrites are responsible for the communication between brain cells.
- Bacopa is a powerful antioxidant – As an antioxidant, bacopa prevents the effects of free radical damage to the brain.
- Bacopa prevents inflammation – Chronic brain inflammation is a primary contributor to depression, anxiety, memory loss, stroke, and Alzheimer’s.
- Bacopa fights depression – Bacopa can reduce symptoms of both depression and anxiety.
- Bacopa prevents aluminum toxicity – Aluminum accumulation in the brain causes memory loss.
- Bacopa preserves memory – Medicines that are anticholinergic cause memory loss. By taking bacopa, this negative side effect of anticholinergic drugs can be reversed.
- Bacopa enhances brain plasticity – By taking bacopa supplements regularly, brain plasticity can be increased. Bacopa does this by increasing the formation of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF), a protein that encourages the formation of new brain cells.
- Bacopa may help Alzheimer’s patients – In a study, bacopa reduced beta-amyloid plaque buildup in the brains of mice by 60 percent. These plaques in the brain are one of the primary contributors to Alzheimer’s disease.
- Bacopa can help treat childhood attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and dyslexia – Studies have shown that bacopa is a safe and effective remedy for ADHD. For dyslexia patients, bacopa improves their memory, attention span, concentration, perception, reaction and performance times, and retention of new information. (Related: Bacopa monnieri improves brain function and prevents mental diseases.)
The use of bacopa as an herbal supplement is not new. In fact, this herbal plant has been used in Ayurvedic medicine, the traditional medicine of India, as a diuretic and as a tonic for the nervous system and the heart for at least 3,000 years. It has also been used specifically for the treatment of asthma, insanity, and epilepsy. In Ayurvedic medicine, it goes by the name Brahmi after Brahma, the Hindu god of creation.
Read more news stories and studies on herbal supplements that are good for the brain by going to Brain.news.