(Natural News) A traditional Chinese herbal medicine called Sinisan can help treat nonalcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), according to a study published in the journal BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine.
Researchers from Beijing University of Chinese Medicine in China evaluated the beneficial effects of Sinisan on NAFLD. Sinisan is made up of four herbal medicines: Aurantii Immaturus Fructus (Zhi-Shi), Paeonae Alba Radix (Bai-Shao), Licorice Root (Gan-Cao), and Bupleuri Radix (Chai-Hu) with a dose proportion of 1:1:1:1.
For the study, they exposed mice to chronic stress. Exposure to chronic stress led to fatty liver and nonalcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH). The body weight of the mice also decreased. Furthermore, exposure to chronic stress resulted in oxidative stress and chronic inflammation in the liver.
After exposing the mice to chronic stress, they administered Sinisan to mice with stress-induced NALFD for nine weeks. Based on the results, the Sinisan treatment improved stress symptoms in mice. It increased the body weight and sucrose preference of the mice. The treatment also improved fatty liver and reduced aspartate aminotransferase and alanine aminotransferase levels.
In addition, the Sinisan treatment significantly decreased total cholesterol, triglycerides, and free fatty acids in the liver of mice. Moreover, the treatment also reduced the level of liver interleukin-6, indicating that the beneficial effect of Sinisan on NAFLD may be partly due to its anti-inflammatory effect.
The researchers of the study concluded that the traditional Chinese medicine Sinisan can be beneficial for treating psychological stress and stress-related NAFLD.
|Discover how to prevent and reverse heart disease (and other cardio related events) with this free ebook: Written by popular Natural News writer Vicki Batt, this book includes everything you need to know about preventing heart disease, reversing hypertension, and nurturing your cardiac health without medication. Learn More.|
Other natural treatments for fatty liver disease
The presence of fat in the liver is normal, but only to a certain extent. When five to 10 percent of the liver’s weight is fat, it is considered as a fatty liver disease. A fatty liver that occurs as a result of excessive alcohol intake is called alcoholic fatty liver disease. A fatty liver disease that is not a result of alcohol consumption is called non-alcoholic fatty liver disease The latter could be due to a diet high in fats and carbs, or due to diabetes or physical inactivity.
People with fatty liver disease experience symptoms such as nausea, fatigue, discomfort, and a general feeling of being sick. The disease also exposes the liver to risks of injuries, inflammation, and scarring.
Fortunately, fatty liver disease is reversible and only requires healthy lifestyle changes as treatment. (Related: Fatty Liver Disease Totally Reversible with Weight Loss.)
In addition, there are some natural remedies that can help treat the disease easily. These include the following:
- Apple cider vinegar – Apple cider vinegar helps by reducing fat accumulating in the liver and by promoting weight loss. It also enhances healthy liver functioning by decreasing inflammation. To use this, add one tablespoon of it to warm water and drink twice daily before meals.
- Green tea – Its high-density catechin content enhances liver functioning and prevents fat accumulation in people with NAFLD. It also inhibits the amount of fat stored in the liver. Drinking three to four cups of green tea on a regular basis can help you manage fatty liver disease.
- Lemon – Because it is rich in vitamin C and antioxidants, it can help the liver produce glutathione, which neutralizes liver toxins. In turn, it promotes detoxification. To use, squeeze a lemon in a glass of water and drink it twice or thrice a day for a few weeks. Drinking lemon water will help reduce fat buildup in the liver.
- Papaya – Both the pulp and the seeds of the papaya fruit can burn dietary fats, which are one of the primary causes of fatty liver disease. Eating a slice of papaya every day or drinking a mixture of ground papaya seeds and water daily can help treat the condition.
- Turmeric – This spice’s antioxidants enhance the body’s ability to digest fats and prevent its accumulation in the liver. Prepare a turmeric drink by adding a quarter teaspoon of turmeric to two glasses of water.
Read more news stories and studies on traditional Chinese medicine like Sinisan by going to ChineseMedicine.news.