(Natural News) The leaves of the elya plant (Elatostema papillosum) have been found to prevent neurocognitive decline associated with Alzheimer’s disease. In a study published in the journal BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, the antioxidant and anticholinesterase properties of the leaves of the elya plant were assessed to correlate it to the treatment of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Researchers from the International Islamic University Chittagong, Islamic University, and the University of Rajshahi in Bangladesh made a methanolic extract from the leaves of the elya plant for the study.
- They assessed the acetylcholinesterase (AChE) and butyrylcholinesterase (BChE) inhibitory activity and the antioxidant activity of the elya leaf extract.
- The researchers also looked at the phenolic and flavonoid contents of the elya leaf extract.
- The results revealed that the elya leaf extract inhibited AChE and BChE activity.
- In addition, the elya leaf extract demonstrated potent antioxidant activity.
- Moreover, the elya leaf extract was also found to possess high flavonoid and phenolic contents.
- These activities of the elya leaf extract prevent oxidative stress and cellular damage, which contribute to the onset of degenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s disease.
In conclusion, the findings of the study suggested that the elya leaf extract can potentially reduce the risk of various degenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s disease because of its antioxidant and anticholinesterase activities.
Read the full text of the study at this link.
To read more stories on Alzheimer’s disease prevention, visit Alzheimers.news today.
Ali Reza ASM, Hossain MS, Akhter S, Rahman R, Nasrin S, Uddin J, Sadik G, Kurshid Alam AHM. IN VITRO ANTIOXIDANT AND CHOLINESTERASE INHIBITORY ACTIVITIES OF ELATOSTEMA PAPILLOSUM LEAVES AND CORRELATION WITH THEIR PHYTOCHEMICAL PROFILES: A STUDY RELEVANT TO THE TREATMENT OF ALZHEIMER’S DISEASE. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 5 April 2018; 18(123). DOI: 10.1186/s12906-018-2182-0