(Natural News) When shopping for sunscreen, options are often limited to those that are easy to apply but are full of harmful chemicals or natural variants that are thick and too sticky. But you can stop worrying about what kind of sunscreen or after-sun skin treatments to buy because listed below are several chemical-free options. (h/t to OutsideOnline.com)
The products from these smaller companies might not always be available at the nearest pharmacy, but these sunscreens are easy to apply and free of harmful ingredients.
- All Good Sport Sunscreen Spray SPF 30 – Aerosol sunscreens are bad for you because they contain toxic chemicals as propellants that are released into the air and onto your skin. However, this sunscreen is a “genuinely healthy spray” that uses nitrogen, a naturally occurring gas, to release sunscreen made from eco-friendly non-nano zinc particles that are safe to use on human skin. Nanoparticles are easy to spread, but they can harm the lungs when inhaled.
- Beyond Coastal Active Face Stick SPF 30 – Made from an “earth-friendly formula,” this sunscreen is suitable for “intense high-altitude or equatorial sun.” Thanks to this easy-to-use product, you can protect yourself from the harsh rays of the sun while avoiding gooey residue on your hands.
- Sun Bum Signature Sunscreen SPF 30 – This sunscreen uses a zinc-based formula that is “light and unobtrusive enough” to apply on the face. It stays on even when you’re sweaty; it won’t get into your eyes; and it has a non-greasy consistency.
- Supergoop! Sunscreen Mousse SPF 50 – Perfect for people who don’t like sunscreen, this body mousse offers enough protection from the sun.
- Surface Rhythm Lip Balm SPF 50 This lip balm is one of the best options available on the market because despite its higher-than-usual sun protection factor, it can help soothe your skin. It’s emollient and doesn’t have the chalky texture of other zinc-based lip balms.
- Thinksport Sunscreen SPF 50+ – Unlike mineral-based sunscreens that create a “physical barrier that sweat can’t penetrate,” this product uses a chemical-free formula. The zinc oxide (20 percent) in this sunscreen is combined with pine resin, which makes the sunscreen “unusually waterproof” but still easy to apply. This Thinksport product lets your skin breathe while also protecting it from the sun’s rays.
|Discover how to prevent and reverse heart disease (and other cardio related events) with this free ebook: Written by popular Natural News writer Vicki Batt, this book includes everything you need to know about preventing heart disease, reversing hypertension, and nurturing your cardiac health without medication. Learn More.|
If you’re already sunburnt, use these after-sun skin treatments to help minimize damage and soothe any burns. (Related: 6 Natural Oils That Work as Sunscreen.)
- Life Elements Healing Honey Stick – Taking inspiration from honey that has been used to treat burns, this after-sun treatment from Life Elements combines honey with olive and almond oils. The Healing Honey Stick is a soothing ointment that can heal sunburn, road rash, and climbing scrapes.
- Maui Babe After Browning Lotion – This lotion from Maui Babe has an “ultrahydrating effect” and it can help minimize peeling. After usage, the After Browning Lotion can help you turn “taut, brittle-feeling skin” more supple.
- Mountain Mel’s The After Burn – This cooling spray can help soothe your sunburn with peppermint and aloe. It also contains jojoba and almond oil which will moisturize skin that has dried because of overexposure to sunlight.
- Ursa Major Golden Hour Recovery Cream – This cream from Ursa Major is rich enough to be used as a daily moisturizer, but it can also benefit reddened and “stressed-out skin.” It doesn’t sting when applied to the face, and ingredients such as calendula, sandalwood, and sea buckthorn make it a soothing after-sun skin treatment product.
Reasons to use natural sunscreens
If you’re still on the fence about using natural skincare products, read on for the reasons why you should buy chemical-free sunscreens:
- Natural sunscreens contain titanium and zinc. These beneficial minerals act as a barrier against UV (ultraviolet) rays.
- Natural sunscreens only have to be applied once.
- Natural sunscreens are not as irritating because they contain less allergenic ingredients.
- Aside from protecting the skin, natural sunscreens also soothe and nourish it.
Find out the toxic ingredients found in sunscreens and other personal care products at Cosmetics.news.