(Natural News) Essential oils are versatile natural remedies that have been used for numerous purposes. One of the many benefits of essential oils is the ability to enhance hair health. Here are some of the best essential oils to keep your locks healthy and looking their best:
- Bergamot oil – Derived from the interior cells of the ring of bergamot oranges, bergamot oil contains antimicrobial properties that are healthy for the scalp. This oil also reduces inflammation and helps speed up the healing of wounds. This, in turn, promotes hair growth and a healthy scalp.
- Jojoba oil – Jojoba oil is derived from the seeds of the jujube (Ziziphus jujuba) plant. The application of jojoba oil on areas where hair has been shaved speeds up the growth of hair, according to studies. Hence, it is often used as an ingredient for hair loss products.
- Peppermint oil – According to some studies, peppermint essential oil is an even more effective hair loss treatment than store-bought hair loss products. Using peppermint oil can increase the density of hair follicles and scalp thickness. In addition, it can accelerate the growth phase of the hair. Some studies suggested that the menthol in peppermint causes blood vessel dilation, improved circulation, and enhanced blood flow, which could be one of the key reasons for peppermint’s effectiveness in promoting hair growth.
- Ylang-ylang oil – Ylang-ylang essential oil helps protect the hair from the harmful effects of the sun and ocean water. In addition, this essential oil makes the hair stronger and prevents breakage.
Other essential oils that can help keep the hair healthy and aid hair growth include rosemary, chamomile, Jamaican black castor, and sage oils. Moreover, there are essential oils that protect the hair from damage and moisture it. These oils, such as argan oil, avocado oil, and castor oil infuse the hair with moisturizing fatty acids and essential vitamins. Others use shea oil, almond oil, or apricot kernel oil to moisturize their hair.
Some tips for using essential oils for hair growth and a healthy scalp:
- Use only two to three drops of essential oil per tablespoon of carrier oil.
- Apply your oil mixture directly on the scalp and massage for a few minutes.
- You can also experiment with mixing several types of essential oil.
- You can use any of these essential oils to find out which one works best for you.
- Take note that some of these essential oils, such as bergamot oil and citrus fruit oils, can increase skin sensitivity to the sun.
Essential oils and their beneficial effect
In addition to hair health, essential oils offer many other health benefits. Essential oils help reduce stress, enhance overall energy and mood, boost memory, and speed up the overall healing process of the body. Here are some of the essential oils and their health benefits:
- Eucalyptus oil – Breathing in eucalyptus oil can help relieve stuffy nose and head pressure in people with sinusitis.
- Ginger oil – Inhaling ginger oil alleviates nausea or queasiness.
- Lavender oil – Lavender oil increases brain alpha waves linked to relaxation and deep sleep, promoting better sleep. It also helps ease premenstrual symptoms and relieve pain.
- Peppermint oil – Smelling peppermint oil helps increase alertness, boost energy and performance. Rubbing it into your temples relieve headaches.
- Rosemary oil – The scent of rosemary can help you focus better at work by improving concentration, speed, and accuracy during mental tasks.
- Sweet orange oil – The scent of sweet orange can help relieve anxiety.
- Tea tree oil – Tea tree oil contains antifungal, antiseptic, and antibacterial properties that can help fight infections. Combining it with a carrier oil can help treat athlete’s foot, acne, and dandruff. It can also be used by adding a couple of drops to your shampoo.
Essential oils have a myriad of applications. Learn more about them at EssentialOils.news.