(Natural News) Acupuncture is now a widely known medicinal alternative to relieve chronic pain. Through skin penetration using small needles, certain nerve endings in our body become stimulated which help relieve us from a lot of health conditions including cardiovascular diseases.
Acupuncture does a great deal in promoting a healthy circulatory system. In just one session, blood vessels are more dilated and our blood flow improves thanks to the stimulation of our energy pathways.
Here’s exactly how this traditional practice benefits our circulatory system:
- Helps in poor circulation in the legs – People often experience poor blood circulation in the legs since it’s located far from the heart. With the help of acupuncture, oxygen supply is restored in the tissues and lactic acid buildup is reduced. Different kinds of vascular diseases can also be treated by boosting the circulation. The healthier the blood circulation is, the less tendency for a person to suffer from diseases like restless leg syndrome, Type 2 diabetes, and develop varicose veins.
- Helps wounds heal faster – According to Dr. Jihad Abbas, “Sixty percent of the wounds we see are chronic or non-healing for vascular reasons.” This means that keeping the circulatory system healthy with the help of acupuncture will aid in wound healing. However, before relying on this medicinal alternative, it is best to first consult your healthcare provider to ensure that the treatment is suitable for you and won’t have any bad effects on your wounds.
- Relaxes blood vessels – Acupuncture helps the body reduce blood pressure. Even after the body goes through something stressful, the treatment manages to maintain a low level of blood pressure and even reduces muscular stress. Furthermore, once the blood vessels relax, the blood flow in our bodies also increase.
Acupuncture as an all-around treatment
Puncturing various parts of the body with needles releases hormones that travel to the brain, which help increase our pain thresholds. This is the reason why people who suffer from severe back and/or neck pain seek acupuncturists. In fact, the treatment is so effective, it is said to increase the survival rates after a heart attack.
Through preventive acupuncture, the impact of a heart attack can be reduced. The needling acupuncture point PC6, or what is called Neiguan, can effectively protect the heart. Moreover, the practice reduces the heart’s damage after suffering from a condition called myocardial ischemia-reperfusion which attacks the body’s tissues. It also addresses the issues of arrhythmia and infarction. (Related: Acupuncture found to promote weight loss by boosting appetite-suppressing hormones.)
Reperfusion is also a common problem which occurs in the circulatory system. It is commonly caused by the sudden return of blood after being deprived of regular blood supply. Acupuncture helps prevent possible inflammation and oxidative stress by regulating gene expression and enzyme secretion.
Other health conditions which can be treated by this traditional form of medicine are:
- Anxiety – Although experts cannot define exactly what the correlation is between anxiety and acupuncture, clinical trials have shown positive results between the two. Treatment and prescription for this illness also appeared to be more effective when combined with acupuncture.
- Insomnia – With the help of this treatment, the secretion of nocturnal melatonin increases which helps people fall asleep easier and faster. A previous study showed a significant decrease in the presence of insomnia on participants who had an acupuncture session.
- Arthritis and migraines – Acupuncture helps send signals to the brain saying that the muscles or other parts of the body are in pain. The brain will then release endorphins which are combined with normal neurotransmitters which may help stop the pain.
Find out more about acupuncture and other traditional practices at AlternativeMedicine.news now.