(Natural News) The thyroid is an important gland that is responsible for a lot of functions in the body. If it is over- or under-functioning, you might experience symptoms, such as brain fog, a slower metabolism, fatigue, and even depression. Here are some tonics and teas that you can brew up to improve thyroid health:
- Dandelion – Dandelions have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties which help calm the autoimmune flares and balance out the immune system. To make dandelion tea, you need two teaspoons of dried dandelion root and leaves. Then, steep it with fresh lemon zest in a tea infuser for 15 to 20 minutes. Add half a teaspoon of raw honey, stir, and drink.
- Siberian ginseng – As an adaptogenic herb, Siberian ginseng can help the body handle stress better, like the stress caused by a thyroid problem. Additionally, it can help reduce inflammation commonly found in thyroid problems. The dried root of this herb can be brewed and paired with orange peel or zest. Siberian ginseng requires a longer cooking time, about two to three hours, to extract the herbal benefits.
- Chaga – Chaga provides liver and lymph cleansing benefits. It also removes toxins and nourishes the detox system, which is beneficial for a thyroid-sluggish body. It also has mind-clearing benefits which can clear away thyroid brain fog. Chaga can be mixed in a smoothie or be made into a matcha-like tea drink.
- Ashwagandha – This herb can help the body cope better with stress, anxiety, and other chronic health conditions. Moreover, it can help improve the production of thyroid hormone. You can take ashwagandha by mixing it with warm coconut or almond milk.
- Turmeric – Turmeric is a nourishing food for thyroid health because of its active ingredient, curcumin. It provides anti-inflammatory properties and can relieve mood-related disorders, such as anxiety and depression, which come with thyroid problems.
- Astragalus – Astragalus can improve adrenal function and also help relieve stress. By fighting inflammation, it helps the body cope better with stress. It also benefits the immune system. To make astragalus tea, steep a quarter teaspoon of dried astragalus root for five minutes. Add some lavender buds or turmeric, and a bit of raw honey.
- Maca – Maca contains vitamins B, C, and E – all of which are needed by the thyroid to produce hormones and regulate metabolism and energy levels. This tonic also helps control hormonal communication and improve mood. To make a maca tonic, combine a scoop of maca with a teaspoon of cinnamon and a teaspoon of ginger. Then, mix with warm coconut milk, half teaspoon of honey, and a half teaspoon of MCT oil.
- Rhodiola – Rhodiola is used as an adaptogen used in traditional and herbal medicine to calm the body. Its effects can take effect almost immediately. It can clear brain fog as well as boost energy. It can also relieve depression symptoms and fight chronic fatigue. This tonic works fastest in tincture form. You can add it to your herbal tea, smoothies, or juice.
- Ginger – Ginger can help lessen pain in chronic conditions and lower the associated risks of a low-functioning thyroid and cardiovascular problems. To make ginger tea, add three to four slices of ginger root to a saucepan of three to four cups of boiling water. Let it simmer for 10 to 15 minutes. Remove the ginger slices after, and add honey.
- Bone Broth – Although unconventional, this tonic is beneficial for thyroid health. In thyroid problems, the immune system is affected by a leaky gut. And bone broth is a tonic for gut health as it contains amino acids and other nutrients that help repair the lining of the intestine and restore balance in the immune system.
|Discover how to prevent and reverse heart disease (and other cardio related events) with this free ebook: Written by popular Natural News writer Vicki Batt, this book includes everything you need to know about preventing heart disease, reversing hypertension, and nurturing your cardiac health without medication. Learn More.|
The thyroid is a butterfly-shaped gland located in the neck and just above the collarbone. Problems in the thyroid can occur, and these include goiter, hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism, thyroid cancer, thyroid nodules, and thyroiditis. (Related: Thyroid disorders – Symptoms, testing and solutions.)
Read more news stories and studies on natural treatments by going to AlternativeMedicine.news.