(Natural News) A lot of diseases, such as fatty liver disease, are caused by oxidative stress. Fortunately, there are natural treatments that help fight it. One of these is a fermented tea called Pu-erh that contains antioxidant properties and glucose-regulating extracts and can protect the liver from impairment.
A team of researchers from China examined the oxidative stress reduction and liver protective effects of Pu-erh tea extracts on 50 rats that were fed a high-fat diet. They divided the rats into five groups: the normal-feed control group, the high-fat feed control group, and Pu-erh extract-treated groups with three levels of dosage. They also measured the rats’ body weight once a day. (Related: Pu-erh Tea is a Chinese Cholesterol Remedy and Overall Health Tonic)
The research team observed that Pu-erh extracts reduced the rats’ body weight, fat index, malondialdehyde and nitric oxide synthase levels and increased hepatic total superoxide dismutase, catalase, and glutathione peroxidase activities after the 12-week intervention. These changes indicated that the Pu-erh tea extracts contain potent protective effects against hepatic damage caused by oxidative stress.
The protective mechanism of the extracts of Pu-erh tea worked by activating the hepatic liver antioxidant system and reversing lipid peroxidation. Pu-erh tea extracts played an essential role in the regulation of glucose level by improving the glycogen synthesis and the pyruvate kinase activity. In turn, these prevented liver disease development and other complications associated with type 2 diabetes. In conclusion, the findings of the study suggested that Pu-erh tea could potentially be used to prevent and treat diseases related to oxidative stress, such as fatty liver disease.
“Therefore, Pu-erh tea can be used as a potential healthy drink for prevention and/or treatment of fatty liver disease and many diseases associated with oxidative stress,” the researchers wrote.
Other health benefits of Pu-erh tea
Pu-erh tea is a Chinese herbal tea that is made through a special fermentation process with high temperature and high humidity. The fermented tea contains high levels of polyphenols, such as flavonoids, catechins, and theaflavin, which are known to contain antioxidant properties. As a result of the fermentation process, the tea also contains microorganisms that are beneficial to the body. Listed below are the other benefits of Pu-erh tea.
- Cholesterol reduction – Because of the microbial aging of Pu-erh tea, small amounts of lovastatin, which are used to lower cholesterol, are present in the tea. Other studies also suggested that appropriate consumption of the tea can potentially lower bad cholesterol and increase good cholesterol levels.
- Cleansing – Pu-erh tea can help cleanse the blood of toxins because of the microorganisms and unique, simple sugars that were produced during the tea’s fermentation process.
- Digestive support – The microorganisms found in Pu-erh tea increase the healthy bacterial flora in the stomach and intestines, which may help in proper digestion of foods.
- Weight reduction – Research shows that the fermented tea significantly prevents fatty acid synthesis, blocking the body from producing more fat. Also, the caffeine found in the tea stimulates the body to produce the hormones epinephrine and norepinephrine, which are shown to increase mobilization of stored fatty acids in fat cells. This allows the body to have easier access to use stored fatty acids as fuel. Furthermore, Pu-erh tea enhances cellular levels of hormone-sensitive lipase which prevents visceral fat build up.
- Stress reduction – The fermented tea contains GABA and theanine that can reduce stress levels and increase the production of natural melatonin, which stabilizes mood and improves sleep patterns.
If you’d like to read more news stories and studies on Traditional Chinese Medicines, visit ChineseMedicine.news.