(Natural News) The scientific community has long established that the accumulation of heavy metals in the body may result in a plethora of adverse health conditions. In fact, a meta analysis published in Molecular, Clinical and Environmental Toxicology confirms that processing heavy metals not only contaminates the environment but also compromises the body’s overall well being.
“A comprehensive analysis of published data indicates that heavy metals such as arsenic cadmium, chromium, lead, and mercury, occur naturally. However, anthropogenic activities contribute significantly to environmental contamination. These metals are systemic toxicants known to induce adverse health effects in humans, including cardiovascular diseases, developmental abnormalities, neurologic and neurobehavioral disorders, diabetes, hearing loss, hematologic and immunologic disorders, and various types of cancer,” the study reads.
Another study in the journal Comprehensive Reviews in Food Science and Food Safety has revealed that food intake plays a central role in heavy metal exposure and accumulation in the body.
“Toxic elements such as mercury, arsenic, cadmium, and lead, sometimes called heavy metals, can diminish mental and central nervous system function; elicit damage to blood composition as well as the kidneys, lungs, and liver; and reduce energy levels. Food is considered one of the main routes of their entry into the human body,” the study shows.
Top 10 detox foods that help flush out heavy metals
- Cilantro — Experts say that cilantro contains strong chelating properties that bind with heavy metals and flush them out of the body. (Related: Detox from heavy metals naturally by adding some cilantro to your sandwiches or salads.)
- Spirulina — The blue-green algae is an excellent source of folic acid and is touted for its efficacy in removing heavy metals from the nervous system and the liver.
- Probiotic foods — According to experts, probiotic-rich foods contain high levels of lactic acid that binds to metal atoms.
- Ginger — Ginger is touted to support kidney health, which in turn promotes the body’s elimination process.
- Citrus fruits — Like lactic acid, the high citric acid content in citrus fruits are also known to attach to metal atoms and lead them out of the body’s system.
- Activated charcoal — Experts note that activated charcoal can be safely consumed by those who want to detoxify their bodies. Like any other chelating agent, activated charcoal tends to stick to metal atoms and rid the body of heavy metal deposits.
- Chlorella — Another type of beneficial algae, chlorella is known to bind with metal deposits in the body.
- Milk thistle seeds — According to previous studies, milk thistle seeds protect against the harmful effects of mercury.
- Garlic — Past studies have also shown that garlic is highly effective in keeping the harmful effects of heavy metals such as cadmium and mercury at bay.
- Alpha lipoic acids — Foods rich in alpha lipoic acids — such as peas, Brussels sprouts, and broccoli as well as spinach and rice bran — are believed to have the capacity to cross the blood brain barrier and take out heavy metals from the brain.
As you can see, you can easily detox your body with nutrition. A lot of these food items are relatively cheap and easy to find in your local grocery store. We recommend that you mix-and-match a lot of these foods so that you will also have fun on your journey to overall health.