(NaturalNews) Research at the University of Calgary, Faculty of Medicine
and other prominent medical schools, have demonstrated that mercury vapor continuously escapes from dental amalgams and 80 percent of this vapor is immediately absorbed through the lungs and into the bloodstream. Once in the blood, mercury vapor enters into the cells almost immediately. Mercury vapor from dental amalgam fillings is the primary source of mercury contamination in most humans. 80 percent of adults, specifically baby boomers, currently have amalgam fillings that will release from four to 40 micrograms of mercury vapor per day, depending on factors such as the number of fillings, their size, teeth grinding and the presence of other metals in the mouth. Every day, we do things to encourage the release of mercury vapor from amalgam fillings: chewing gum, eating, drinking hot tea or coffee, having dental work done and getting your teeth cleaned. Effects of exposure can vary significantly depending on the tissues and/or organs involved as well as other genetic and health factors. According to Dr. Russell Blaylock, mercury can damage many bodily systems, although the nervous, immune and cardiovascular systems seem to suffer the most adverse effects of chronic exposure. He also states that there is growing evidence that mercury toxicity plays a vital role in a significant number of Alzheimer's cases along with other neurodegenerative diseases.Protecting yourself from mercury exposure
An article published in the British Dental Journal
(2001) stated that in 15-20 percent of dental offices, the mercury
vapor concentration levels were 10 times higher than the current safety limit set by OSHA. So how can you protect yourself from mercury poisoning? An excellent first step is replacing your current dentist with a biological dentist. Even if you choose to not have amalgam fillings
done, by choosing to see a traditional dentist, you increase your risk of mercury exposure, from someone else's procedure, since even a simple dental cleaning will release mercury vapor into your dentist's office.Safe amalgam extraction
If you have any amalgam fillings, get them replaced. Your dentist should be following a safe protocol as outlined by the IAOMT:
1. Use of a rubber dam to prevent any amalgam debris from being swallowed or inhaled.
2. Covering the face of the patient with a barrier to prevent spattered amalgam particles and mercury vapor from coming in contact with the skin and eyes.
3. Administration of nasal oxygen.
4. Use of high volume suction in the operating area.
5. Use of a saliva ejector behind the dam to evacuate any mercury vapor that passes through the dam.
6. Rinsing of the dam thoroughly during amalgam removal to remove any stray amalgam particles.
7. Using water on amalgam during removal to cool the amalgam and reduce the amount of vaporization of mercury.
8. Sectioning the amalgam fillings into large chunks for removal in order of reducing the disbursement of amalgam particulate aerosol.
9. Thorough rinsing of the mouth area after removing rubber dam.
10. Proper office and air filtration system in dental
If you have chemical or environmental sensitivity and are removing amalgam fillings, work with a nutritionist or naturopath to come up with a health plan based on your specific needs, to avoid any negative reactions.Sources for this article include:
It's All in Your Head: The Link between Mercury Fillings and Illness by Hal Huggins
Health and Nutrition Secrets by Russell Blaylock, M.D.
The Complete Guide to Mercury Toxicity from Dental Fillings by Joyal Taylor, DDShttp://www.iaomt
The International Academy of Oral Medicine and ToxicologyAbout the author:
After sixteen years of struggling with MCS, Elisha has come out on the other side with a renewed zest for life and the desire to educate others about wholistic and healthy life choices. During that time she received the following degrees and designations, Doctor of Naturopathy, Master Herbalist, Diploma in Clinical Homeopathy, Bachelor of Science in Holistic Nutrition, Certified Wholistic Rejuvenist and EFT-ADV. You can visit her website at www.myhealthmaven.com