hand sanitizer

11-year-old girl spontaneously combusts in hospital bed due to hand sanitizer, olive oil

Tuesday, March 12, 2013 by: Jonathan Benson, staff writer
Tags: hand sanitizer, spontaneous combustion, severe burns

eTrust Pro Certified

Most Viewed Articles
Popular on Facebook
BACK INTO THE CLOSET: Why U.S. reporters are not allowed to write about rainbow events in nations where being gay is still condemned
Depopulation test run? 75% of children who received vaccines in Mexican town now dead or hospitalized
A family destroyed: Six-month-old dies after clinic injects baby with 13 vaccines at once without mother's informed consent
Biologist explains how marijuana causes tumor cells to commit suicide
Companies begin planting microchips under employees' skin
BAM! Chipotle goes 100% non-GMO; flatly rejecting the biotech industry and its toxic food ingredients
ECONOMIC SLAVERY FOR ALL: While we were distracted with the Confederate flag flap, Congress quietly forfeited our entire economic future via fast-track trade authority
INVESTIGATION: Three days before Dr. Bradstreet was found dead in a river, U.S. govt. agents raided his research facility to seize a breakthrough cancer treatment called GcMAF
NJ cops bust teenagers shoveling snow without a permit
Chemotherapy kills cancer patients faster than no treatment at all
McDonald's in global profit free fall as people everywhere increasingly reject chemically-altered toxic fast food
March Against Monsanto explodes globally... World citizens stage massive protests across 38 countries, 428 cities... mainstream media pretends it never happened
Italian court rules mercury and aluminum in vaccines cause autism: US media continues total blackout of medical truth
The 21 curious questions we're never allowed to ask about vaccines
SCOTUS same-sex marriage decision may have just legalized the concealed carry of loaded firearms across all 50 states, nullifying gun laws everywhere
Orthorexia Nervosa - New mental disorder aimed at people who insist on eating a clean diet
Vicious attack on Dr. Oz actually waged by biotech mafia; plot to destroy Oz launched after episode on glyphosate toxicity went viral
Nearly every mass shooting in the last 20 years shares one surprising thing? and it's not guns
Delicious
(NaturalNews) What is intended to help keep germs away and patients safe resulted in second- and third-degree burns for a young girl from Oregon, who recently had to undergo reconstructive surgery to repair the damage caused by using too much hand sanitizer. In a bizarre and highly-unfortunate turn of events, a combination of alcohol-based hand sanitizer, olive oil, and just the right amount of static electricity apparently led to the spontaneous combustion of young Ireland Lane, who reportedly has no recollection of what happened to her.

According to OregonLive.com, the fire, which was sparked on Feb. 2, occurred at Doernbecher Children's Hospital (DCH) in Portland, Oregon. Ireland, who had just turned 12 years old, had been admitted to the hospital after falling at school, hitting her head and losing consciousness. Physicians had apparently attached electrodes to Ireland's scalp in order to conduct an EEG exam, which are sometimes removed using olive oil.

After Ireland's electrodes were removed, olive oil was still present in her hair, as well as on her shirt. She had also been exposed to generous amounts of alcohol-based hand sanitizer, which was on her hands and arms. And at just the wrong time, as young Ireland was reportedly rubbing her feet on her bed sheets to experiment with static electricity, she suddenly ignited on fire, which ended up burning 19 percent of her body.

"We found that given the mixture of the olive oil and the hand sanitizer on the cotton shirt, it was like a candle wick that was easily ignited by the static that was in the bedding and clothing in her room," explained Deputy State Fire Marshal Dan Jones about the unusual incident at a recent news conference. "This was a very unusual combined set of circumstances that resulted in this young girl getting burned."

Incidentally, the hospital began to look into the situation further to clarify precisely how the fire was started. But rather than pinpoint the hand sanitizer as the culprit, officials somehow decided that the olive oil was to blame, and are no longer using it on patients who are allergic to conventional EEG gel remover. Alcohol-based hand sanitizers, on the other hand, will still be used, despite the fact that it is potentially capable on its own of igniting with the right amount of static electricity.

"The ignition source would not have been adequate to ignite the olive oil on the shirt without the presence of the hand sanitizer as well," admitted Jones.

Sources for this article include:

http://www.oregonlive.com

http://www.cbsnews.com

Explore more on Hand sanitizer by searching on GoodGopher.com, the search engine for truth seekers.
Join over four million monthly readers. Your privacy is protected. Unsubscribe at any time.
comments powered by Disqus
Take Action: Support NaturalNews.com by linking back to this article from your website

Permalink to this article:

Embed article link: (copy HTML code below):

Reprinting this article:
Non-commercial use OK, cite NaturalNews.com with clickable link.

Follow Natural News on Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, and Pinterest

Colloidal Silver

Advertise with NaturalNews...

Support NaturalNews Sponsors:

Advertise with NaturalNews...

GET SHOW DETAILS
+ a FREE GIFT

Sign up for the FREE Natural News Email Newsletter

Receive breaking news on GMOs, vaccines, fluoride, radiation protection, natural cures, food safety alerts and interviews with the world's top experts on natural health and more.

Join over 7 million monthly readers of NaturalNews.com, the internet's No. 1 natural health news site. (Source: Alexa.com)

Your email address *

Please enter the code you see above*

No Thanks

Already have it and love it!

Natural News supports and helps fund these organizations:

* Required. Once you click submit, we will send you an email asking you to confirm your free registration. Your privacy is assured and your information is kept confidential. You may unsubscribe at anytime.