(NaturalNews) Insomnia is caused by a wide range of ailments, such as joint and muscle pain, restless legs, anxiety, fear, acid reflux, and pain from chronic disease. Something as common as drinking too much coffee late in the day, or staying up too late and getting a second wind can contribute to sleeplessness. Easy-to-make home remedies from foods in your pantry or fridge may be just the solution you're looking for to help you fall asleep and get back to sleep if you awaken during the night.
Sleep better with tasty foods and home remedies
1. Toast and warm milk (organic or raw milk, please) help relieve stress and promote better sleep. Studies have shown that drinking warm milk releases melatonin -- the sleep hormone -- as well as endorphins to relax you and encourage sleep. A small amount of complex carbohydrates such as whole grain toast or cereal will fill your stomach, relieving hunger pains at bedtime, and cure insomnia. Whole grains release tryptophan, a precursor to seratonin production -- the calming brain chemical. This is also a great snack to eat during the night if you awaken and can't get back to sleep.
2. Two tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar mixed with 10 to 12 ounces of water relieves burning from acid reflux that may prevent sleep. Additionally, arthritis and fibromyalgia pain may lessen or disappear after alkalizing with this drink.
3. Mix half a teaspoon of baking soda with eight ounces of water and drink before bedtime as a sleep aid and soothe gout pain.
4. Raw honey, high in potassium and other nutrients, helps to alkalize the body and nourish the brain, causing relaxation and sleep. It relieves acid reflux and will help you get back to sleep if you awaken early. Drizzle some on whole grain toast with a glass of warm milk for the perfect bedtime snack to sleep better.
5. Eat apple slices dipped in raw honey to relieve heartburn, fill your stomach, and relax before sleep.
6. Relieve arthritis, fibromyalgia and headache pain that may interfere with sleep by drinking a mixture of cream of tartar and water before bed. Add half a teaspoon of cream of tartar to eight ounces of water, stir and drink. The body naturally becomes more acidic at night, and this drink helps alkalize and reduce pain. Additionally, if you're anxious, nervous or having difficulties breathing, a glass of this mixture should calm you down and allow better sleep.
7. If fibromyalgia or other muscularskeletal pains cause insomnia, eat several slices of pineapple before bed to sleep better. Pineapple contains the digestive enzyme bromelain that relieves stiffness and muscle aches, and reduces inflammation.
8. Calcium and magnesium promote sleep. Eat a snack before bed that's high in calcium and magnesium, such as whole grain crackers with raw milk cheese, warm milk, yogurt, kefir, almonds, sesame seeds, Brazil nuts, or cashews, and black strap molasses. Sleep better after a green smoothie including kale, collards or dandelion greens with yogurt and honey for a cooling bedtime snack during summer.
9. Herbal teas such as those made with chamomile or Valerian root can help relieve insomnia and promote better sleep; however, too much of either of these herbs can actually do just the opposite and cause agitation, anxiety, irritability and insomnia.
10. Wild lettuce helps relieve headaches, anxiety and joint pain that may interfere with a good night's sleep. It has a calming effect that relieves restlessness and anxiety and may even help soothe restless leg syndrome.
JB Bardot is an herbalist and a classical homeopath, and has a post graduate degree in holistic nutrition. Bardot cares for both people and animals, using alternative approaches to health care and lifestyle. She writes about wellness, green living, alternative medicine, holistic nutrition, homeopathy, herbs and naturopathic medicine. You can find her at The JB Bardot Archives at www.jbbardot.com and on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001364941208&ref=tn_tnmn or on Twitter at jbbardot23 or https://twitter.com/jbbardot23
FREE online report shows how we can save America through a nutrition health care
revolution. "Eating healthy is patriotic!" Click here to read it now...
Healing Power of Sunlight and Vitamin D
In this exclusive interview, Dr. Michael Holick reveals fascinating facts on
how vitamin D is created and used in the human body to ward off chronic diseases
like cancer, osteoporosis, mental disorders and more. Click here to read it now...
Get the Full Story
The International Medical Council on Vaccination has released, exclusively through
NaturalNews.com, a groundbreaking document containing the signatures of physicians,
brain surgeons and professors, all of which have signed on to a document stating
that vaccines pose a significant risk of harm to the health of children.
Click here to read it now...
Ranger Storable Organics
GMO-free, chemical-free foods and superfoods for long-term storage and preparedness.
See selection at www.StorableOrganics.com