(NaturalNews) In what is perhaps the most significant breaking news we've heard on the GMO front in a long time, an effort has just been announced in California that seeks to gather enough signatures to put an historical initiative on the ballot which would require the labeling of GMOs in foods.
I interviewed Ronnie Cummins from the Organic Consumers Association (www.OrganicConsumers.org), who is a key leader in advocating mandatory GMO labeling. His organization is playing a significant role in helping to get this initiative on the ballot in California.
This is the pathway to victory against GMOs! With this initiative on the ballot, we have a very achievable strategy to deal a death blow to GMOs and restore sanity and integrity to our seeds and food crops.
• 75% of all non-organic processed foods in grocery stores today contain genetically engineered ingredients.
• 90% - 95% of Americans want to know which foods contain GMOs.
• The http://www.naturalnews.com/GMO.html>GMO industry is already gearing up to fight this ballot initiative and plans to spread lies about GMOs such as "GMOs are necessary to feed the world" or "genetically engineered crops are perfectly safe!" (The quack scientists who push GMOs are no doubt gearing up to spread their lies and disinformation as part of the effort to confuse consumers and thereby protect their GMO profits.)
• This initiative, if approved, would force health food retailers like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's to reformulate their own products and inventory to remove GMOs. "There's gonna be panic in the boardrooms of Whole Foods and Trader Joe's," says Cummins.
• 700,000 signatures are needed in California to put this initiative on the ballot. This will require an army of volunteers with clipboards to gather the signatures. See below for how you can contribute to this effort.
• Go to www.OrganicConsumers.org and click on the "Millions Against Monsanto" campaign page to see where you can sign up to be a volunteer.
• Significant funding providers for this campaign include: Dr. Bronner's - $1 million, Nature's Path - $500k, Mercola.com - $500k, Organic Consumers Association - $250k and others.
More announcements and interviews coming from NaturalNews
Tomorrow, NaturalNews is announcing our own donation and fundraising effort to support the effort to demand mandatory GMO labeling and ultimately remove GMOs from the food supply entirely. Keep reading NaturalNews.com this week and throughout the month of October, where you'll find up-to-date breaking http://www.naturalnews.com/news.html>news and announcements about the most important developments in the realm of GMOs.
Also check out our sister site www.AlternativeNews.com for breaking alternative news throughout the day. We're covering the Occupy Wall Street protests, GMO rallies, victories against fluoride, the latest news on vaccine dangers, and a whole lot more.
We are winning this info war against runaway greed and false science! Help us spread the word by sharing our stories and linking to them.
Have you seen the pictures of NaturalNews editor Mike Adams speaking to the crowd at the Austin, Texas GMO rally? Find them on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150308275451316.336720.35590531315
In addition to his lab work, Adams is also the (non-paid) executive director of the non-profit Consumer Wellness Center (CWC), an organization that redirects 100% of its donations receipts to grant programs that teach children and women how to grow their own food or vastly improve their nutrition. Click here to see some of the CWC success stories.
With a background in science and software technology, Adams is the original founder of the email newsletter technology company known as Arial Software. Using his technical experience combined with his love for natural health, Adams developed and deployed the content management system currently driving NaturalNews.com. He also engineered the high-level statistical algorithms that power SCIENCE.naturalnews.com, a massive research resource now featuring over 10 million scientific studies.