(NaturalNews) Try a delicious and healthy change of pace for breakfast with these breakfast tacos, which use no unhealthy processed meats and are made with healthier wheat tortillas and homemade pico de gallo (directions for the pico de gallo are included below).
While the recipe is not a strictly vegetarian one, it is perfect for lacto-ovo vegetarians (people who eat only vegetables with the exception of dairy products and eggs). Plus, with a few adjustments the recipe can be made into a strictly vegetarian one if desired, as suggested below.Healthy Breakfast Tacos
2 large russet potatoes, scrubbed but unpeeled
2 tbsp light extra virgin olive oil
1 small yellow onion, chopped
Sea salt and ground pepper
8 large free range organic eggs
1 tbsp unsalted butter
8 wheat tortillas, each about 6" in diameter, warmed
1 cup shredded organic Monterey Jack, Cheddar or Provolone cheese (or a combination thereof)
1. Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and add enough cold salted water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until tender when pierced with a knife tip (about 25 minutes). Drain and rinse the potatoes under cold running water. Refrigerate until chilled, two or more hours (or overnight).
2. Peel the potatoes and cut them into small cubes. Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large pan. Add the potato cubes and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 10 minutes. Add half of the onion and cook, stirring often, until softened (about 2 minutes). Remove the potato mixture from the heat and season with salt and pepper.
3. While the potatoes are cooking, prepare the tortillas for browning by spreading a light coating on one side of each of the tortillas.
4. Meanwhile, whisk together in a bowl the eggs, 3/4 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper until just thoroughly blended. Avoid over-beating. Return the pan with the potatoes to medium-low heat and add the egg mixture. Cook until the eggs begin to set (about 20 seconds). Stir with a heatproof spatula, scraping up the eggs on the bottom and sides of the pan and folding them toward the center. Repeat until the eggs are barely cooked into moist curds. Remove the pan from the heat and let stand for about 1 minute to allow the residual heat to finish cooking the eggs.
5. Fill the tortillas with equal amounts of the potato egg mixture, sprinkle with cheese and top with a spoonful of the pico de gallo.Pico de Gallo
2 large ripe tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion
3 tbsp cilantro, minced
1 tbsp lime juice
1/2 jalapeno chili, seeded and minced
1. In a non-reactive bowl, combine the tomatoes, onion, cilantro, lime juice and jalapeno. Season with salt. Cover and let stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes or up to 3 hours.
To make a strictly vegetarian version of the tacos
1. Forego the eggs and cheese and add chopped or sliced portabella mushrooms and/or avocados.
2. Use extra virgin light olive oil or another healthy oil substitute to spread on the tortillas in place of the butter.
As an alternate suggestion for vegetarian tacos, try the "burger" mix in the following recipe as part of the taco ingredients:http://www.naturalnews.com/029147_veggie_bur...
About the author
Tony Isaacs, is a natural health author, advocate and researcher who hosts The Best Years in Life
website for those who wish to avoid prescription drugs and mainstream managed illness and live longer, healthier and happier lives naturally. Mr. Isaacs is the author of books and articles about natural health, longevity and beating cancer including "Cancer's Natural Enemy
" and is working on a major book project due to be published later this year. He is also a contributing author for the worldwide advocacy group "S.A N.E.Vax. Inc
" which endeavors to uncover the truth about HPV vaccine dangers.
Mr. Isaacs is currently residing in scenic East Texas and frequently commutes to the even more scenic Texas hill country near Austin and San Antonio to give lectures and health seminars. He also hosts the CureZone "Ask Tony Isaacs - featuring Luella May
" forum as well as the Yahoo Health Group "Oleander Soup
" and he serves as a consultant to the "Utopia Silver Supplement Company