(NaturalNews) If you have watched any television of late you probably saw a commercial for Uloric. Uloric is a new drug designed to relieve gout sufferers of their symptoms. With gout's new found prevalence Uloric is right on time to rake in profits for Big Pharma. Perhaps now is a great time to take a fresh look at gout for what it is and how to eliminate the condition as opposed to masking the symptoms.
Gouts Place in History
Gout is a condition that leads to acute inflammatory arthritis. It is often painful resulting in tender swollen joints that are red and hot. Long regarded as "the disease of kings" gout has a lengthy history dating back to ancient Egypt. Imhotep, a noted Egyptian physician, was treating gout 4600 years ago. The 6th century physician Alexander Tralles used Autumn Crocus (Colchium Autumnal) specifically for gout which was a first at the time. Fast forward to medieval times and one would find that bloodletting was the norm. Gout's position in history was usually reserved for the elite of society. During those times only the affluent could afford rich foods and sedentary lifestyles. Contemporary food production has brought us more meat consumption and processed foods that we tend to overindulge in. Add nutritionally unbalanced diets to the equation and one can understand gout's steady increase in society over time.
Gout is thought to have multiple origins but a general consensus has formed around increased plasma (blood) acidity mainly due to uric acid. The issue of acidosis is more prevalent in our society so a good start would be to address this issue. The average diet today has 30% of our calories coming from protein. Combined with a diet lacking essential nutrients because of consumption of over-processed foods, the chances of developing gout greatly increases. Here are a few tips to reflect upon:
1. Combat gout by insuring protein consumption does not exceed 10 -15% of calories consumed per day. The proteins should be of high quality derived primarily from vegetables, beans, nuts, and legumes. Protein from these sources are more readily absorbed.
2. In addition to quality proteins the body needs adequate nutrients, primarily Vitamins B3 and B6 along with Zinc, to properly breakdown and utilize the protein that has been ingested.
3. Decrease or eliminate consumption of acid forming foods, some of which are coffee, sugar, alcohol, vinegar, meat and dairy products. Alcohol is known not only to increase uric acid production, but also to decrease the body's ability to excrete uric acid through the kidneys. Some may find that the elimination of alcohol is all they needed to do to rid themselves of gout.
4. Micheal Murray, N.D. recommends gout sufferers consume 1/2 pound of cherries for relief. Dark red and blue berries are excellent sources of phytonutrients that reduce joint inflammation.
5. If a person with gout is obese emphasis on proper weight reduction is advisable. Weight reduction should be accomplished through a low fat, high fiber diet with an eye towards alkaline forming foods, some of which are aloe vera, wheat grass, alfalfa, parsley, dates, string beans, raisins, prunes, and banana.
6. Avoid refined carbohydrates and saturated fats. These increase blood acidity.
There is no cookie cutter approach to treating the condition of gout but some of the common measures mentioned above are a great place to start. Seek balance and prudence in your diet. Be diligent and discover for yourself or with the help of others how to give gout the boot.
Alternative Medicine: A Definitive Guide, Deepak Chopra, M.D.
Derrell is a Nutritional Consultant and is currently seeking a diploma as a Holistic Health Practitioner. His mission is to assist as many people as possible during a time when good health is stolen instead of fostered. Follow Derrell at thoughtfulhealth.blogspot.com or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are interested in toxin free personal care products please visit mysisel.com/thoughtfulhealth. Sign up to purchase products.
FREE online report shows how we can save America through a nutrition health care
revolution. "Eating healthy is patriotic!" Click here to read it now...
Healing Power of Sunlight and Vitamin D
In this exclusive interview, Dr. Michael Holick reveals fascinating facts on
how vitamin D is created and used in the human body to ward off chronic diseases
like cancer, osteoporosis, mental disorders and more. Click here to read it now...
Get the Full Story
The International Medical Council on Vaccination has released, exclusively through
NaturalNews.com, a groundbreaking document containing the signatures of physicians,
brain surgeons and professors, all of which have signed on to a document stating
that vaccines pose a significant risk of harm to the health of children.
Click here to read it now...
Ranger Storable Organics
GMO-free, chemical-free foods and superfoods for long-term storage and preparedness.
See selection at www.StorableOrganics.com