(NaturalNews) As fall allergy season heads into winter cold season, many of us are prone to suffer from sinus infections. Symptoms of sinus infections, or sinusitis, are similar to a common cold, but last longer. If symptoms last longer than two weeks, you probably have sinusitis. Sinus infections can last from three weeks up to three years if left untreated. Fortunately there are several natural remedies which may relieve and conquer sinus infections. Here are some of the best:
* Colloidal Silver can be used to irrigate the sinus cavities as well as taken internally to help fight off the infection. To irrigate the sinus cavities thoroughly, use a pump spray or squirt bottle and use a good amount of silver to get in all the sinus passages.
* Grapefruit seed extract is a wonderful supplement for sinus infection which can make a sinus infection disappear after only couple of days. Do not take the drops on an empty stomach, especially early in the morning.
* Using a neti pot helps keep your nasal passages healthy with all the pollution, pollen, dust and other irritants in the air. All you need to use in it is non-iodized salt, preferably sea salt.
* Potassium supplements help dry up mucous.
* Drink apple cider vinegar throughout the day in large glasses of water. ACV thins mucus.
* Cayenne pepper tincture will help clear the sinuses and it is also a great overall cold remedy.
* Let a hot shower run onto your forehead and nose and then clear all the mucus from your sinuses. Do this several times a day.
* Oil Pulling, a wonderful remedy from India, often alleviates sinus congestion within about 10-15 minutes.
* Licorice root helps reduce inflammation and stimulates the immune system to fight sinus infections. There are two types of licorice products.
* Eucalyptus soothes sore throats. It also has antiseptic properties and can help shrink swollen tissues such as swollen sinus passages.
* Peppermint can help calm mucous membranes. You may drink peppermint tea or steep the peppermint and breathe in the steam. You can also use peppermint in aromatherapy. The scent of peppermint when inhaled helps to ease your breathing.
* Drink eight to ten glasses of water every day.
* Drink warm tea to help dilute mucus.
* Ginger has long been known to relieve and prevent headaches. It is also an anti-inflammatory and can help relieve pain. Take in tincture or capsule form according to directions.
* Lemon balm is helpful in fighting off viruses and bacteria. Steep the dried leaves for 10 minutes in hot water. Strain and drink the tea warm. Alternatively, lemon balm tea can be used as a gargle.
* Echinacea often will knock out a cold in only a matter of days when taken in quantity. It helps boost the immune system and makes it function better. Take in tincture or capsule form with increased dosages at the onset of illness and decrease after three or four days. Do not take if you have an allergy to ragweed.
* Vitamin C and zinc can help shorten the duration of colds as well as reduce cold symptoms. Sinus infections often come as a result of lingering colds. If you fight a cold early, you can help stave off a sinus infection. Take capsule or lozenges during cold season, especially with the onset of any symptoms.
* Foods high in antioxidants help to build the immune system and prevent infections in the first place. Some of these foods include blueberries, cherries, artichokes, cranberries and pomegranates.
Tony Isaacs, is a natural health author, advocate and researcher who hosts The Best Years in Life website for those who wish to avoid prescription drugs and mainstream managed illness and live longer, healthier and happier lives naturally. Mr. Isaacs is the author of books and articles about natural health, longevity and beating cancer including "Cancer's Natural Enemy" and is working on a major book project due to be published later this year. He is also a contributing author for the worldwide advocacy group "S.A N.E.Vax. Inc" which endeavors to uncover the truth about HPV vaccine dangers. Mr. Isaacs is currently residing in scenic East Texas and frequently commutes to the even more scenic Texas hill country near Austin and San Antonio to give lectures and health seminars. He also hosts the CureZone "Ask Tony Isaacs - featuring Luella May" forum as well as the Yahoo Health Group "Oleander Soup" and he serves as a consultant to the "Utopia Silver Supplement Company".