(NaturalNews) Celery juice is highly nutritious and one of the most hydrating foods we can put in our bodies. Because it is incredibly alkalizing, it equalizes the body's PH, which is vital for peak health. In ancient times, it was considered a medicinal herb used to treat a variety of health complaints. The minerals and vitamins and nutrients are in perfect harmony with each other. Celery leaves are high in vitamin A, whilst the stems are an excellent source of vitamins B1, B2, B6 and C and dense in potassium, folic acid, calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, sodium and essential amino acids.
This super food also contains important concentrations of plant hormones and the very special essential oils that give celery its characteristic smell. These oils help to regulate the nervous system, and are very calming.
Celery is rich in sodium, which is very different to table salt. Normal table salt is composed of insoluble inorganic compounds which lead to the development of varicose veins, hardening of the arteries and other aliments. If salt, including sea salt is white, then it has been processed and all minerals and nutrients have been destroyed.
On the other hand, the sodium that is available in celery is soluble and organic (live), and is essential for the body. Organic salt allows the body to use the other nutrients that are taken into the body. Every cell in our body is constantly bathed in a salt solution, and if the salt level is not in balance, dehydration occurs. This is why celery
juice is a perfect rehydration drink for athletes.Other Benefits of Celery JuiceFights Cancer
- Celery is known to contain at least eight families of anti-cancer compounds. A study at Rutgers University of New Jersey found that celery contains a number of compounds that help prevent cancer cells from spreading. Celery contains compounds called acetylenics and this compound has been shown to stop the growth of tumor cells. Celery contains other compounds called phonolic acids that block the action of hormone-like substances called prostaglandins, which encourage the growth of tumor cells. Coumarins, another phytonutrient in celery helps prevent free-radicals from damaging cells and prevent the formation and development of the colon and stomach cancers.Lowers Cholesterol
- Laboratory studies also indicate that butyl phthalide, a chemical in celery, may help reduce LDL (bad) cholesterol. According to researchers at the University of Chicago, celery reduces cholesterol levels by as much as 7 points with as little as 2 stalks a day. Celery also aids in increasing bile acid secretion which helps to remove cholesterol from the body.Aids in Digestion
- Special nutrients in the fiber are released during juicing
that aid bowel movements. This makes celery a natural laxative that helps to relieve constipation. It also helps relax nerves that have been overworked by man-made laxatives.Diuretic
- The potassium and sodium in celery juice
are powerful body fluid regulators that stimulate urine production to help rid the body of excess fluid.Anti Inflammatory
- The polyacetylene in celery is an amazing relief for all inflammation including rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, gout, asthma and bronchitis. A study published in the Proceeding of the National Academy of Science U.S.A found that another powerful phytonutrient called luteolin prevents activation of a pathway that allows inflammation in the brain to get switched on. Luteolin also inhibits the excess production of TNF-alpha, a direct cause of inflammation. Juice is the most efficient and nutritious way to eat celery, and people who have these conditions can drink as much juice as desired without overdosing.Lower blood pressure
- Celery's potential for reducing high blood pressure has long been recognized by Chinese medicine. Studies show that drinking celery juice
every day for 1 week can significantly help lower blood pressure. A compound called phtalides helps relax the muscles around the arteries, dilating the vessels and allowing blood to flow smoothly. Pthalides also reduce stress hormones, one of whose effects is to cause blood vessels to constrict. When researchers injected 3-n-butyl phthalide derived from celery into laboratory animals, the animals' blood pressure dropped 12 to 14 percent. Celery amazingly doesn't lower blood pressure which is already low.Insomnia
- The minerals and essential oils in celery juice have a calming effect on the nervous system, making it beneficial for insomniacs. Its high magnesium levels help people to relax into a soothing and restful sleep.Weight loss
- Drinking celery juice frequently throughout the day helps curb cravings for sweet. It is filling without putting any extra pounds on.Elimination and Prevention of stones
- Celery juice is an amazing eliminator of toxins from the body
, which aids in the breaking and elimination of urinary and gall bladder stones. This lovely juice helps those who have suffered from stones from getting them again.Increased Sexuality
- Celery juice is beneficial for weak sexuality, yet doesn't cause an uncontrollable urge as some pharmaceutical drugs do. Celery balances the system rather than increasing it.
Celery can be juiced with any other fruits or vegetables. A particularly delicious and powerful combination is carrot, apple, cucumber and celery.
About the author
Sheryl is a kinesiologist, nutritionist and holistic practitioner.
Her website www.younglivingguide.com
provides the latest research on preventing disease, looking naturally gorgeous, and feeling emotionally and physically fabulous. You can also find some of the most powerful super foods on the planet including raw chocolate, purple corn, and many others.