mercury

Safety concerns surface over switch to energy-efficient compact fluorescent lights

Sunday, November 25, 2007 by: David Gutierrez, staff writer
Tags: compact fluorescent lights, health news, Natural News

eTrust Pro Certified

Most Viewed Articles
Popular on Facebook
CDC issues flu vaccine apology: this year's vaccine doesn't work!
The five biggest lies about Ebola being pushed by government and mass media
Why does the CDC own a patent on Ebola 'invention?'
Ultraviolet light robot kills Ebola in two minutes; why doesn't every hospital have one of these?
Tetanus vaccines found spiked with sterilization chemical to carry out race-based genocide against Africans
Oregon man serving prison sentence for collecting rainwater on his own property
Russia taking McDonald's to court, threatens countrywide shutdown
Global warming data FAKED by government to fit climate change fictions
The best way to help your body protect itself against Ebola (or any virus or bacteria)
Healthy 12-year-old girl dies shortly after receiving HPV vaccine
Ebola outbreak may already be uncontrollable; Monsanto invests in Ebola treatment drug company as pandemic spreads
HOAX confirmed: Michelle Obama 'GMOs for children' campaign a parody of modern agricultural politics
Ben & Jerry's switches to non-GMO, Fair Trade ice cream ingredients
W.H.O. contradicts CDC, admits Ebola can spread via coughing, sneezing and by touching contaminated surfaces
BREAKING: CDC whistleblower confesses to MMR vaccine research fraud in historic public statement
Monsanto's seed imperialism halted in Canada thanks to massive protests
Cannabis dissolves cancerous tumor in young infant, deemed a 'miracle baby' by physician
Top ten things you need to do NOW to protect yourself from an uncontrolled Ebola outbreak

Delicious
(NaturalNews) Although compact fluorescent lightbulbs have become a favorite symbol of energy efficiency, and though several state and national governments have passed or are considering legislation to ban the older incandescent bulbs, compact fluorescents provide a hazard of their own.

Compact fluorescent lightbulbs are made with mercury, a naturally occurring metallic element that is highly toxic to the nervous system. According to an Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) fact sheet about compact fluorescent bulbs, exposure to mercury may cause damage to the brain, central nervous system, kidneys and liver, and may produce symptoms including trembling hands, difficulty moving or memory loss.

For this reason, the EPA recommends careful disposal of old or broken compact fluorescent bulbs. According to the agency, broken bulbs should be swept up but not touched or vacuumed. The area should then be wiped with a disposable paper towel to remove all glass fragments. If a bulb breaks, the EPA counsels immediately opening windows to disperse any mercury vapors.

A used up but not broken bulb should be sealed in plastic and taken to a local Household Hazardous Waste Disposal Site, just like used motor oil or batteries.

However, the EPA points out that the use of compact fluorescent bulbs actually leads to a reduction in the overall mercury in the environment, even locally.

The primary cause of mercury pollution is coal-fired power generation, which is responsible for 56 percent of the electricity used in the United States. According to the EPA, more energy-efficient incandescent bulbs lead to the emission of 10 milligrams of mercury, compared to 2.4 milligrams for a compact fluorescent bulb.

Compact fluorescents also contain substantially less mercury than other household devices. For example, a mercury thermometer contains 500 milligrams of the substance, compared to four in a fluorescent bulb. (Mercury thermometers have already been banned in many countries due to their mercury content.)

"There is less mercury emitted from these bulbs than from a coal-fired power plant that will continue to [power] incandescent [bulbs]," said Lester Brown, president of the Earth Policy Institute.

However, it should be noted that coal-fired power plants do not emit mercury directly into homes, whereas mercury-containing light bulbs can bring the substance right into a child's room.

Join over four million monthly readers. Your privacy is protected. Unsubscribe at any time.
comments powered by Disqus
Take Action: Support NaturalNews.com by linking back to this article from your website

Permalink to this article:

Embed article link: (copy HTML code below):

Reprinting this article:
Non-commercial use OK, cite NaturalNews.com with clickable link.

Follow Natural News on Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus, and Pinterest

Colloidal Silver

Advertise with NaturalNews...

Support NaturalNews Sponsors:

Advertise with NaturalNews...

GET SHOW DETAILS
+ a FREE GIFT

Sign up for the FREE Natural News Email Newsletter

Receive breaking news on GMOs, vaccines, fluoride, radiation protection, natural cures, food safety alerts and interviews with the world's top experts on natural health and more.

Join over 7 million monthly readers of NaturalNews.com, the internet's No. 1 natural health news site. (Source: Alexa.com)

Your email address *

Please enter the code you see above*

No Thanks

Already have it and love it!

Natural News supports and helps fund these organizations:

* Required. Once you click submit, we will send you an email asking you to confirm your free registration. Your privacy is assured and your information is kept confidential. You may unsubscribe at anytime.