(NaturalNews) Health officials are warning that the bird flu pandemic is far from over, contrary to the impression created by many in the media. In fact, more people died from the virus in 2006 that in the previous two years, and its fatality rate has risen from 43 to 61 percent.
• Bird flu, or H5N1, is a variety of the influenza virus that primarily infects domestic and wild birds. While unusually lethal, it is currently not very contagious and usually spreads to humans only through close contact with infected birds.
• Health officials fear that the virus could mutate into a form that is highly contagious from human to human. This could create a severe global health crisis: By comparison, the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic - which killed between 50 and 100 million people - had only a 2 percent fatality rate.
• In 2005, the bird flu virus was considered to be "out of control" in bird populations in Indonesia. It is now considered out of control in Nigeria and Egypt as well.
• Circumstantial evidence suggests that human-to-human transmission may have recently taken place in Nigeria, where a 22-year-old woman died from the virus in January. Despite government controls, bird flu is found in 19 of the country's 36 states, and culling orders are being ignored. Farmers attribute this to the low compensation the government is offering for their birds.
• Compared with last winter, few migrating birds carried the virus this year. The primary cause of its spread now seems to be illegal or unregulated domestic bird trade.
• Quote: "My take-home message is 'don't become complacent'. Don't trust this one." - Robert Webster, virologist at St. Jude's Children's Research Hospital in Memphis
• Contrary to what many people may think, the threat from avian influenza hasn't passed and instead has been uncontrollably spreading. The bird flu's reach has now extended to include recent cases in the U.K. and Russia.
• The World Health Organization and the Centers for Disease Control haven't been able to control the spread of the bird flu virus. Existing vaccines are ineffective, and the virus could mutate to an even more dangerous human form.
• If the bird flu becomes a pandemic, public health resources will be overrun, and even basic medical care may be hard to come by. People who wish to be safe during a pandemic need to take preparedness measures.
FREE online report shows how we can save America through a nutrition health care
revolution. "Eating healthy is patriotic!" Click here to read it now...
Healing Power of Sunlight and Vitamin D
In this exclusive interview, Dr. Michael Holick reveals fascinating facts on
how vitamin D is created and used in the human body to ward off chronic diseases
like cancer, osteoporosis, mental disorders and more. Click here to read it now...
Get the Full Story
The International Medical Council on Vaccination has released, exclusively through
NaturalNews.com, a groundbreaking document containing the signatures of physicians,
brain surgeons and professors, all of which have signed on to a document stating
that vaccines pose a significant risk of harm to the health of children.
Click here to read it now...
Ranger Storable Organics
GMO-free, chemical-free foods and superfoods for long-term storage and preparedness.
See selection at www.StorableOrganics.com