Originally published September 24 2013
Eleven amazing facts and health benefits of camu camu
by Jonathan Benson, staff writer
(NaturalNews) Deep in the heart of the Amazon rainforests of South America lives a plant species that produces a berry so packed with nutrients that it is almost unmatched in nature. You may have heard of it before: camu camu, the Amazonian "powerfruit" that is beginning to gain the national spotlight for its amazing nutritional density and healing capacity. But do you know what this fruit can actually do for the health of you and your family?
1) Highest known source of natural vitamin C. Camu camu's claim to fame is that it is the densest natural source of vitamin C in the world. According to multiple sources, camu camu contains up to 56 times more vitamin C than a lemon, 60 times more vitamin C than an orange and 200 times more vitamin C than a banana on an ounce-by-ounce basis.
2) Powerful anti-inflammatory. All this vitamin C helps to block disease-causing inflammation from forming within the body, as do various other vitamins, amino acids and antioxidants found in camu camu. Lower inflammation means lower risk of disease.
3) Helps prevent cancer. The rich antioxidant profile of camu camu makes it a powerful defense against cancer-causing free radical damage as well. Synthetic forms of the vitamins found in camu camu simply do not compare to the synergistic healing nutrients found in camu camu.
4) Promotes eye health. An all-around support for the nervous system, camu camu can help maintain healthy eyesight and prevent degenerative vision loss.
5) Guards against degenerative brain disease. Included in the nervous system category is the brain, which also derives benefits from camu camu. Not only does the fruit help improve focus and prevent "brain fog," but camu camu can also help block the buildup of plaque in the brain that can lead to conditions like Alzheimer's disease.
6) Improves mood, cognitive balance. In his list of the top holistic treatment methods for depression, Dr. Gary Null, Ph.D., a nationally recognized nutritionist and researcher, lists camu camu as the second most powerful. Many patients have been able to quit their antidepressant medications after incorporating camu camu into their everyday diets.
7) Improves muscle tone. If losing weight and building healthy muscle tone is one of your goals, camu camu can be a support. Loaded with an array of beneficial vitamins, amino acids, trace minerals and other nutrients, camu camu can help improve both the function and posture of your muscles.
8) Sustains healthy reproductive system. Many of these same nutrients found in camu camu help to cleanse the body of damaging toxins, which can damage reproductive function and potentially lead to infertility.
9) Boosts immune system. In order to properly detoxify, though, it is important to have a well-functioning immune system. Camu camu helps with this as well, feeding your body the nutrients it needs to maintain homeostasis and defend against foreign invaders.
10) Helps prevent viral, bacterial infections. Such invaders include things like viral and bacterial infections, both of which stand a much lower chance of taking hold within the body when camu camu is part of the equation. Concerning the common viral infection known as herpes, Dr. Null's list puts camu camu at the top of the list for anti-herpetic phytochemical activity.
11) Supports healthy collagen, ligaments and tendons. Camu camu's high vitamin C content also makes it a powerful superfood for building strong and resilient collagen stores within the body. Your body's ligaments and tendons are composed of collagen, which means that camu camu can help make them stronger, and the berry has also been shown to help improve the strength and shine of hair.
Be sure to read the NaturalNews exclusive report on camu camu here:
Sources for this article include:
All content posted on this site is commentary or opinion and is protected under Free Speech. Truth Publishing LLC takes sole responsibility for all content. Truth Publishing sells no hard products and earns no money from the recommendation of products. NaturalNews.com is presented for educational and commentary purposes only and should not be construed as professional advice from any licensed practitioner. Truth Publishing assumes no responsibility for the use or misuse of this material. For the full terms of usage of this material, visit www.NaturalNews.com/terms.shtml