Originally published July 21 2013
Six ways to catch and stop a migraine before it starts
by PF Louis
(NaturalNews) Migraines are not just headaches. They are more severe, even incapacitating, and last longer than average tension headaches, sometimes for days. They can also be accompanied by extreme nausea and overall body stiffness or reduced motor control.
Many experience what's termed an aura before or during the onset of a full blown migraine attack. This isn't the same energy field that surrounds the body, which only some psychics can actually see.
Instead, it's a combination of visual problems and dizziness or vertigo that some compare to a bad psychedelic trip.
Catching your migraine early enough to do something about itEven before an aura occurs, there are signs or symptoms can let you know a migraine is on the way. They are called prodromes, which are early phases of any disease or attack. Prodromes can occur 12 to 24 hours before a migraine occurs.
Not all migraine sufferers experience prodomes for advance warnings. But it's estimated that 60% do experience one or more, perhaps several of the following:
* Fatigue - especially noteworthy if it's not appropriate or commonly experienced.
* Food cravings beyond what's normal.
* Constipation or diarrhea that is unusual.
* Uncontrollable yawning even if not sleepy.
* Confusion, difficulty focusing, or irritability.
* Muscle stiffness around the neck area.
* Depression or euphoria that's inappropriate.
* Excessive urination for no apparent reason.
These may be signs that a cascade of biochemical and neurological impulses have begun to lead into a full blown migraine attack with all the symptoms described above. But before that and after any prodrome, there's the aura stage, which was also described above.
But the aura leaves one with much less time, usually no more than an hour, before the extreme headaches and other symptoms set in. And not every migraine sufferer experiences a precipitating aura.
There are many variables with migraines. Some seem like strokes while others have little or no sickness and pain, but go on with a prolonged aura experience, often called a silent migraine.
An aura may include flashing lights, shimmering spots, parallel lines appearing wavy, or reduced vision. Or there can be tingling or numbness in different areas of the body, speech problems, or confusion. 
It's coming or it's arrived - what to doThere are many pharmaceuticals available at very high prices ranging from fairly effective to worthless and all with side effects, some serious. So where are the inexpensive, safe natural solutions?
Here are six possibilities that are strictly palliative (offering relief or less suffering), which is also the best Big Pharma can do. Not everyone gets results, though many do.
Some of the suggestions listed are visually demonstrated by videos. They'll all be referenced below with bracketed numbers.
(1) An herbal remedy called skullcap works for some.  
(2) Another herb called feverfew or Tanacetum parthenium has been useful for relieving or reducing migraine symptoms for many.  
(3) Yoga instructor and Reiki master Tammy Lawrence-Cymbalisty has used holding one hand in hot water with the other hand held simultaneously in very cold water to relieve her migraine.
A Chi-Gong master also showed her how to apply pressure on the anterior fontanelle or soft part at the top of the head for immediate symptom reduction or relief. 
(4) EFT (emotional freedom techniques) practitioner Erin Muldoon Stetson demonstrates EFT tapping procedures that some find helpful with their migraine symptoms. 
(5) Dr. Mark Wiley illustrates exactly how one can perform acupressure on oneself to get fast migraine relief or symptom reduction. 
(6) Another herbal remedy, butterbur root or Petasites Hybridus is offered by a German firm under the brand name Petadolex. It has proven to be quite effective compared with pharmaceuticals in clinical testing. 
To explore completely curing migraines naturally, check out what Dr. Mark Hyman has to say (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_yBWWHClxo). One of his remedies involves boosting magnesium levels (http://www.naturalnews.com).
Sources for this article include:
All content posted on this site is commentary or opinion and is protected under Free Speech. Truth Publishing LLC takes sole responsibility for all content. Truth Publishing sells no hard products and earns no money from the recommendation of products. NaturalNews.com is presented for educational and commentary purposes only and should not be construed as professional advice from any licensed practitioner. Truth Publishing assumes no responsibility for the use or misuse of this material. For the full terms of usage of this material, visit www.NaturalNews.com/terms.shtml