Originally published May 12 2011
Part III, Restore and Maintain Good Vision and Eye Health Naturally
by Tony Isaacs
(NaturalNews) In the second installment of this six-part series, we looked at how good eye habits, eye exercises and a special vision aid known as "pinhole glasses" can help restore lost vision and prevent future vision problems. In this third segment we will take a look at the important role diet can play in preventing vision problems and some of the best food items for eye health.
In 2009, a study published in Opthamology found that proper diet, especially a low glycemic index diet, can be very helpful in preventing age-related macular degeneration (AMD) and other sight-robbing diseases. The nutrients that were found to be most protective in combination with a low-glycemic-index diet were vitamins C and E, zinc, lutein, zeaxanthin, and the omega-3 fatty acids known as DHA and EPA.
Though there have been no formal studies, there have been many anecdotal reports of improved vision from people who regularly use sea vegetable powder supplements and people who regularly consume super foods powders. Both of those items contain a wealth of vitamins, trace minerals, and phyto-nutrients which are often lacking in most diets. Sea vegetables are especially good sources of over 80 trace minerals that are often missing in today's mineral-depleted soils.
Food Recommendations for Good Eyesight and Eye Health:
* Cold water fish (sardines, cod, mackerel, tuna.) are excellent sources of DHA, a compound which provides structural support to cell membranes and is recommended for dry eyes. DHA is also used as a treatment for macular degeneration and for sight preservation.
* Spinach, kale and green leafy vegetables are rich in carotenoids, especially lutein and zeaxanthin. Lutein, a yellow pigment, protects the macula from sun damage and from blue light. Zeaxanthin is one of the two primary xanthophyll carotenoids contained within the retina of the eye.
* Eggs are rich in sulphur, cysteine, lecithin, amino acids and lutein. Sulphur-containing compounds protect the lens of the eye from cataract formation. Sulphur is also necessary for the production of glutathione, an important antioxidant for the lens of the eye and the whole body.
* Garlic, onions, shallots and capers are also rich in sulfur.
* Fruits and vegetables contain vitamin A, C, and E and Beta-carotene.
* Dark berries such as blueberries, blackberries, and dark cherries are high in flavonoids and contain anthocyanins which improve night vision.
* Wine has many important antioxidants and other nutrients which protect vision, heart and blood flow. Needless to say, moderation is always important.
* Nuts and berries are nature's most concentrated food sources. Grains, such as flaxseed, are high in the beneficial Omega-3 fatty acids, which help lower cholesterol and stabilize cell membranes.
* Virgin olive oil is a mono-unsaturated oil and is a healthy alternative to butter substitutes which contain soy, corn or canola.
In the fourth installment in this six-part series, we will take a look at the best vitamins and minerals for eye health and good vision.
Sources for this series included:
About the authorTony Isaacs, is a natural health author, advocate and researcher who hosts The Best Years in Life website for those who wish to avoid prescription drugs and mainstream managed illness and live longer, healthier and happier lives naturally. Mr. Isaacs is the author of books and articles about natural health, longevity and beating cancer including "Cancer's Natural Enemy" and is working on a major book project due to be published later this year. He is also a contributing author for the worldwide advocacy group "S.A N.E.Vax. Inc" which endeavors to uncover the truth about HPV vaccine dangers.
Mr. Isaacs is currently residing in scenic East Texas and frequently commutes to the even more scenic Texas hill country near Austin and San Antonio to give lectures and health seminars. He also hosts the CureZone "Ask Tony Isaacs - featuring Luella May" forum as well as the Yahoo Health Group "Oleander Soup" and he serves as a consultant to the "Utopia Silver Supplement Company".
All content posted on this site is commentary or opinion and is protected under Free Speech. Truth Publishing LLC takes sole responsibility for all content. Truth Publishing sells no hard products and earns no money from the recommendation of products. NaturalNews.com is presented for educational and commentary purposes only and should not be construed as professional advice from any licensed practitioner. Truth Publishing assumes no responsibility for the use or misuse of this material. For the full terms of usage of this material, visit www.NaturalNews.com/terms.shtml