Originally published April 22 2011
Natural remedies help intestinal gas and bloating
by Tony Isaacs
(NaturalNews) Intestinal gas and bloating are annoying and sometimes embarrassing conditions which plague much of the western world. Poor dietary habits and improper digestion prevalent in western society are major contributors, and some estimates report that people with poor diets expel gas 14 or more times daily. Fortunately, some sensible dietary changes and natural remedies can prevent future bouts of gas and bloating as well as relieve current episodes.
A good way to avoid gas and bloating is to avoid foods that are known to cause gas and indigestion, such as fried foods, spicy foods, processed foods and refined sugar. Other foods which may lead to gas and bloating include most beans, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli, onions, apples, corn, oats, potatoes, most dairy products, pears, prunes, and peaches.
Here are 13 top remedies for gas and bloating:
1. Fennel. You can chew on fennel seeds or else make a tea by crushing the seeds and pouring boiling water over them. The compounds in these seeds, as well as those in anise and dill seeds, relax muscles in your digestive tract and allow trapped gas to pass. As a bonus, you should also have fresher breath, similar to consuming parsley.
2. Ginger. Drinking ginger tea and eating fresh ginger root are two superior remedies for gas. Add small amounts of ginger (both dried and fresh) to your food, as desired. You can also take a teaspoon of fresh grated ginger before meals for gas relief.
3. Caraway Seeds. Try adding caraway seed spice to more of your meals, especially if the foods are known to cause gas. Caraway seeds ease gas, indigestion and cramping, as well as stimulate proper digestion.
4. Parsley. Adding more parsley to your diet is also a very good remedy for gas. Add parsley, either freshly minced or dried as a spice, to foods that may contribute to intestinal gas to help prevent them from causing gas and bloating problems.
5. Activated Charcoal. Charcoal absorbs excess air in the digestive track as well as adsorbs (attracts) toxins which may be contributing to gas problems. Try taking a charcoal supplement before eating to help relieve gas and bloating before they start.
6. Colon Cleansing. Performing a colon cleanse will help improve overall colon health as well as provide gas relief.
7. Probiotics. Taking a probiotic supplement or eating foods with probiotics, such as pineapples, help get rid of the most common symptoms of gas. Probiotics replenish beneficial intestinal bacteria and help keep your colon in optimal working order.
8. Garlic. The hot garlic bulb is another good home remedy for gas. Garlic helps stimulate digestion. For best results, use fresh garlic. You may also want to follow up with parsley or fennel seeds to freshen your breath.
9. Dandelion Tea. The common weed dandelion has numerous health benefits, one of which is relieving gas. Drink as a tea or add it to meals as a dried spice.
10. Hot Water. Sip water as hot as you can take it! According to an 86 year old grandma who submitted this remedy, half a cup usually works.
11. Dill Pickles. Eat one dill pickle or else take a teaspoonful of pickle juice. Pickle juice has the same effect that gripe water has on a baby.
12. Peppermint Oil. Mix two drops peppermint oil in 1/2 cup cool water and drink once or twice per day.
13. Exercise. When you are alone help eliminate trapped gas by lying on your back, putting your legs in the air, and moving them in a bicycle motion.
About the authorTony Isaacs, is a natural health author, advocate and researcher who hosts The Best Years in Life website for those who wish to avoid prescription drugs and mainstream managed illness and live longer, healthier and happier lives naturally. Mr. Isaacs is the author of books and articles about natural health, longevity and beating cancer including "Cancer's Natural Enemy" and is working on a major book project due to be published later this year. He is also a contributing author for the worldwide advocacy group "S.A N.E.Vax. Inc" which endeavors to uncover the truth about HPV vaccine dangers.
Mr. Isaacs is currently residing in scenic East Texas and frequently commutes to the even more scenic Texas hill country near Austin and San Antonio to give lectures and health seminars. He also hosts the CureZone "Ask Tony Isaacs - featuring Luella May" forum as well as the Yahoo Health Group "Oleander Soup" and he serves as a consultant to the "Utopia Silver Supplement Company".
All content posted on this site is commentary or opinion and is protected under Free Speech. Truth Publishing LLC takes sole responsibility for all content. Truth Publishing sells no hard products and earns no money from the recommendation of products. NaturalNews.com is presented for educational and commentary purposes only and should not be construed as professional advice from any licensed practitioner. Truth Publishing assumes no responsibility for the use or misuse of this material. For the full terms of usage of this material, visit www.NaturalNews.com/terms.shtml