Originally published May 7 2010
Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) can be Treated Naturally
by Luella May
(NaturalNews) Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), otherwise known as Lou Gehrig's Disease, is a rare progressive neurodegenerative disease that affects nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord. This degeneration eventually leads to cell death, making it impossible for the brain to initiate and control muscle movement. As the disease advances to its later stages, it results in total paralysis. The cause of this nerve degeneration is thought to be the muscles not receiving enough nourishment. Therefore, in this article we will look at how we can properly nourish the muscles and delay, if not reverse, the progression of this disease.
When the muscles do not receive the nourishment they need, they waste away. As the muscles degenerate, it leads to scarring or hardening of the spinal cord, disabling the nerve cells that signal and control the muscles.
In addition to malnourished muscles, other factors thought to contribute to ALS include environmental toxins, including aluminum, mercury, and lead.
Early symptoms of ALS include muscle weakness and difficulty in swallowing or breathing. As the illness progresses, it becomes increasingly more difficult to walk, use arms and hands, speak, eat, swallow, and breathe. However, ALS doesn't usually affect the mind. Even in its advanced stages, people with ALS do not lose cognitive function, their memory and the ability to think and reason. Their ability to see, hear, smell, and touch also remain in tact.
Although, a diagnosis of ALS can be devastating, there are constructive steps that a person can take in order to treat this disease.
* Physical therapy can keep the muscles strong.
* Speech therapy can help retain the ability to talk.
* Joining a support group or seeking counseling can help deal with this disease emotionally.
Supplements that may be beneficial when treating ALS are:
* Vitamin C, which supports many bodily functions. Besides strengthening the immune system, it also strengthens deteriorating connective tissue. Vitamin C is also instrumental in detoxifying the body.
* It is essential to supplement with calcium and magnesium. Calcium and magnesium help stabilize aluminum and mercury, excessive amounts of which have been found in people with ALS. Additionally, ALS sufferers have been found to have low levels of these important minerals. When taking calcium and magnesium it should be done at a ratio of 1:2 or 1:3.
* B-Complex Vitamins and Vitamin E play an important role in muscle and nerve function.
* Creatine has shown to be effective in increasing strength in those suffering from neuromuscular disorders.
* Acupuncture is thought to benefit nervous system function.
* Herbs that counteract sclerosis are: Cayenne, Ginger, Cinnamon, Periwinkle, Butcher's Broom, Manjistha, Chaparral, Goldenseal Root, and Comfrey Root.
* Herbs that repair the nerves are: Lady's Slipper, Kava Kava, Valerian Root, Cinnamon, Chamomile, Blue Vervain, and Passionflower.
* Herbs instrumental in detoxing the liver include milk thistle, turmeric root, and dandelion root.
* Spirulina and chlorella help repair damaged cells, nerves, and muscle tissue.
* Colloidal Gold is also effective, due to its effects on the brain and nervous system.
Lastly, it is thought that people with ALS have too much acid in their system, often due to a poor diet. It is, therefore, recommended that they follow an alkaline diet. This would necessitate eating a mostly raw diet consisting of fruits and vegetables, preferably organic. All meats, dairy products, refined grains, starches, and unhealthy oils should be eliminated, along with processed foods, junk foods, and fast foods.
About the authorLuella May is a natural health advocate helping people to heal naturally. Luella is in the midst of editing her ebook, "The 8 Invisible Stains of Our Souls" which will be available in the next few months. She partners with Tony Isaacs, who authors of books and articles about natural health including "Cancer's Natural Enemy" and "Collected Remedies" Luella contributes to The Best Years in Life website for baby boomers and others wishing to avoid prescription drugs and mainstream managed illness and live longer, healthier and happier lives naturally. Luella co-moderates the CureZone "Ask Tony Isaacs" forum as well as the Yahoo Health Group "Oleander Soup" and hosts her own yahoo group focusing on the natural wellbeing of pets "
All content posted on this site is commentary or opinion and is protected under Free Speech. Truth Publishing LLC takes sole responsibility for all content. Truth Publishing sells no hard products and earns no money from the recommendation of products. NaturalNews.com is presented for educational and commentary purposes only and should not be construed as professional advice from any licensed practitioner. Truth Publishing assumes no responsibility for the use or misuse of this material. For the full terms of usage of this material, visit www.NaturalNews.com/terms.shtml