Originally published November 26 2009
COPD Treatments: Alternative Measures Ease Symptoms
by Barbi Trejo
(NaturalNews) COPD or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease is the fourth leading cause of death in the US. COPD results in an obstruction of the airways leading to the lungs. As a result, COPD causes severe shortness of breath (dyspnea). COPD is usually a disease that results from years of smoking. This respiratory illness is aggravated by second-hand smoke and environmental toxins like silica and cadmium. This potentially fatal disease shows promising results with the use of a healthy diet and natural supplements.
A Healthy Diet as a Remedy for COPD:
A plant-based diet, like the one Dr. Joel Furhman recommends, is instrumental in helping COPD sufferers recover. The plant-based diet rids the body of foods that create mucus, like milk and cheese. The diet promotes the consumption of organic fruits and vegetables. Many natural hygienists also recommend avoiding animal products, including eggs. Many studies indicate that adding broccoli to the diet greatly improves the symptoms of COPD patients.
Omega-3 oils are also beneficial to COPD patients. Omega-3 oils are found in fish oil supplements and in foods like fish, flax seeds and walnuts. "Fatty" fish like mackerel, lake trout, herring, sardines, albacore tuna and salmon are high in omega-3 fatty acids. Natural remedies and a strict diet can improve COPD symptoms.
7 Tips to Avoid Shortness of Breath While Eating:
Exercise is vital for COPD patients:
One COPD sufferer named Julie says she eliminated her COPD symptoms by using an exercise bicycle outdoors. In addition to exercise, Julie changed her diet and added supplements like fish oil, CQ10 and olive leaf.
In addition to eliminating her COPD symptoms, Julie`s regime eliminated her depression symptoms as well. Julie also lost 13 pounds with her healthy diet. She attributes much of her success to regular exercise and soaking up the sun in the late afternoon. It is advisable to exercise in the early morning or late afternoon to avoid the sun`s most intense rays.
Supplements for the Treatment of COPD:
1. Vitamin C and Magnesium - Research conducted at the University of Maryland revealed that Vitamin C and Magnesium aid in the treatment of COPD. People with COPD often have low levels of magnesium due to poor nutrition. Magnesium promotes healthy lung function, thereby making it vital for COPD patients.
2. NAC and Calcium AEP - NAC and Calcium AEP are two supplements that are recommended.
3. Carnitine and CQ10 - Research has also revealed that supplements like Carnitine and CQ10 are beneficial for COPD patients, who experienced improved breathing and fewer COPD symptoms.
Herbal Treatments for COPD:
1. Olive leaf - Olive leaf is one herb that eases symptoms of COPD. Olive leaf reduces inflammation and aids in the treatment of COPD-related infection. Olive leaf is a natural antibiotic with anti-inflammatory, anti-viral and anti-bacterial properties.
2. Serrapeptase - Research suggests that Serrapeptase is also helpful. There are many success stories using this miracle natural enzyme. According to Robert Redfern (www.serrapeptase.info), "Serrapeptase is a naturally occurring, physiological agent with no inhibitory effects on prostaglandins and is devoid of gastrointestinal side effects."
3. Cayenne - Cayenne is used because it has the ability to increase circulation and improve breathing. A recipe for blood clearance: 1 cup of water, 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne, 1 tablespoon of apple vinegar and 2 teaspoons of honey. Drink this slowly throughout the day.
4. Other herbs that help ease COPD symptoms include astragalus, enchinacea, ginseng, quercetin, thyme, milk thistle, eucalyptus and lobelia.
About the authorBarbi Trejo is a natural hygiene foodist and loves the medicine of the earth. After being diagnosed with MS and early onset dementia last year, she cured herself using herbs and juicing from the earth. She now spends her time helping others.
Barbi Trejo lives in Jordan with her cat, Baby. Barbi is writes for Suite101, Break Studios and Associated Content. She moderates four forums and six blogs in her spare time.
Barbi has just released her first eBook entitled, "Everything You Would Ever Want to Know About Black Seeds (Nigella sativa) and more. It can be seen at http://nigellasativa.weebly.com
Barbi is also a Twitter Manager for many of the top Natural Health Writers here on Natural News.com and Corporations. To learn more about how Twitter can benefit you, contact her at [email protected] and make sure to put Twitter as the reason for the email.
All content posted on this site is commentary or opinion and is protected under Free Speech. Truth Publishing LLC takes sole responsibility for all content. Truth Publishing sells no hard products and earns no money from the recommendation of products. NaturalNews.com is presented for educational and commentary purposes only and should not be construed as professional advice from any licensed practitioner. Truth Publishing assumes no responsibility for the use or misuse of this material. For the full terms of usage of this material, visit www.NaturalNews.com/terms.shtml