Originally published November 17 2009
More Research Reveals the Role of Hypnotherapy on Irritable Bowel Syndrome
by Steve G. Jones, Ed.S.
(NaturalNews) Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a functional disorder that affects a lot of people; it is the most common condition seen by gastroenterologists. Common symptoms of IBS include constipation, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and bloating. The cause of the disorder is not known and there is no cure. However, hypnotherapy has been shown to treat the symptoms of IBS in both the short-term and long-term.
IBS is normally treated with medication, changes in diet, and stress reduction. Many sufferers report that stressful situations cause the symptoms of IBS to worsen. Researchers have eliminated stress as a specific cause of IBS. Irritable bowel syndrome does not cause damage to the bowel and does not lead to other health problems. However, it can affect overall quality of life. Hypnosis has been shown to reduce stress and improve the symptoms of IBS.
A study involving 30 participants was conducted to research the effect of hypnotherapy on anorectal physiology. Fifteen participants were patients who had been diagnosed with IBS and the other 15 participants served as the control group and did not have IBS. The 15 participants with IBS who received hypnotherapy showed significant change in rectal sensitivity both during the hypnotherapy session and after the session. This means that hypnosis helped IBS sufferers normalize their rectal sensitivity.
A study was performed involving 204 participants with IBS. Researchers conducted the study to learn the long-term benefits of hypnosis on IBS. All 204 participants had IBS and used hypnotherapy to treat their symptoms. They answered a detailed questionnaire including questions on quality of life and anxiety before and after receiving hypnotherapy to treat IBS. The time span, since the treatment of IBS with hypnotherapy, included up to 6 years.
Research found that 71% of the participants had reported a positive improvement in IBS symptoms. Of the 71% who reported improvement, 81% had maintained their improvement and the other 19% reported only slight deterioration of improvement. The results of the questionnaire showed there was no significant difference between patients who had completed the treatment 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 or more years ago. The results also showed that overall quality of life and anxiety were still significantly improved. This study shows that hypnotherapy provides long-term and lasting benefits for IBS sufferers. The researchers concluded that hypnosis provides benefits for at least 5 years following treatment.
These studies show both the short-term and long-term benefits of hypnotherapy in relation to treating IBS. Since stress is a major contributor to IBS symptoms, hypnosis helps reduce stress and has lasting effects for IBS sufferers.
Gonsalkorale, W.M., Miller, V., Afzal, A., & Whorwell, P.J. (2003). Long term benefits of hypnotherapy for irritable bowel syndrome. Gut, 52(11), 1623-1629.
NDDIC. National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse. Retrieved on November 6, 2009 from http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pub...
Prior, A., Colgan, S.M., & Whorwell, P.J. (1990). Changes in rectal sensitivity after hypnotherapy in patients with irritable bowel syndrome. Gut, 31(8), 896-898.
About the authorSteve G. Jones, Ed.S. has been practicing hypnotherapy since the 1980s. He is the author of 22 books on Hypnotherapy. Steve is a member of the National Guild of Hypnotists, American Board of Hypnotherapy, president of the American Alliance of Hypnotists, on the board of directors of the Los Angeles chapter of the American Lung Association, and director of the Steve G. Jones School of Clinical Hypnotherapy.
Steve G. Jones, Ed.S. is a board certified Clinical Hypnotherapist. He has a bachelor's degree in psychology from the University of Florida (1994), a master's degree in education from Armstrong Atlantic State University (2007), and is currently working on a doctorate in education, Ed.D., at Georgia Southern University. Learn more at:
All content posted on this site is commentary or opinion and is protected under Free Speech. Truth Publishing LLC takes sole responsibility for all content. Truth Publishing sells no hard products and earns no money from the recommendation of products. NaturalNews.com is presented for educational and commentary purposes only and should not be construed as professional advice from any licensed practitioner. Truth Publishing assumes no responsibility for the use or misuse of this material. For the full terms of usage of this material, visit www.NaturalNews.com/terms.shtml