Originally published March 6 2007
Smoothies rise in popularity as consumers choose healthier beverages
by M. T. Whitney
(NaturalNews) The sales of smoothies have increased dramatically during the past five years, according to industry analysis company Mintel, and have now "become a part of the American landscape." Mintel cites the fact that smoothies are quick, nutritious and portable as the reasons for their popularity as an alternative to soda or milkshakes.
Jump directly to: conventional view | alternative view | resources | bottom line
What you need to know - Conventional View
• Smoothie sales have risen to $2 billion a year, up 80 percent from 2002.
• A large part smoothies' popularity stems from their image of being healthful drinks.
• The number of retail locations offering smoothies across America has grown dramatically, now standing at more than 4,000.
• To keep up momentum, smoothie manufacturers are introducing new flavors, such as acai and prickly pear.
• More than half of the 18- to 34-year-olds surveyed had had a smoothie in the past month.
• "With functional foods and beverages having a strong marketplace advantage, smoothies are in position to dominate the healthy beverages category. Smoothies are seen as a pleasant health treat, and this will continue to take the category far," said David Lockwood, director of Mintel Reports, in a company press release.
What you need to know - Alternative ViewStatements and opinions by Mike Adams
• While smoothies CAN be healthful drinks, many of the more popular, mainstream smoothie chains are still using refined sugars, dairy products and other questionable ingredients that are simply augmented with a very small quantity of healthful ingredients. Watch out for very high sugar content in smoothies.
• The healthiest smoothie you can ever drink is the one you make yourself in your own kitchen, using fresh, raw fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds. See my Superfood Smoothies recipe book at www.TruthPublishing.com/SuperfoodSmoothies.h... for recipe ideas.
Resources you need to know
• A Vita-Mix blender allow you to quickly and easily make smoothies at home. Health Ranger recommended: www.Vita-Mix.com
• Xoom Juice is a popular smoothie retailer using some exotic ingredients such as acai: www.XoomJuice.com (not all Xoom Juice ingredients are recommended by the Health Ranger).
• Consumers seeking to be healthier are spurring growth in the smoothie business.
All content posted on this site is commentary or opinion and is protected under Free Speech. Truth Publishing LLC takes sole responsibility for all content. Truth Publishing sells no hard products and earns no money from the recommendation of products. NaturalNews.com is presented for educational and commentary purposes only and should not be construed as professional advice from any licensed practitioner. Truth Publishing assumes no responsibility for the use or misuse of this material. For the full terms of usage of this material, visit www.NaturalNews.com/terms.shtml