Jump directly to: conventional view | alternative view | bottom line
What you need to know - Conventional View
• The study compared 1,521 cellular phone users who received a glioma to 3,301 control participants without tumors.
• For people who have used a modern cellular phone for more than 2000 hours in their lifetime, the risk of getting a brain tumor rose by 270 percent.
• The study is considered the second that firmly correlates cell phone usage with an increased risk of developing certain brain tumors.
• The risk was highest among people under the age of 20.
• Older-style analog cell phones already have been shown as a source of brain tumors, but even with the development of digital cellular phones, the risk is still there.
• According to a scientist associated with the web site foodconsumer.org, the study results should not make readers assume that ten years of cell phone use will correlate to an immediate tumor, but that the tumor will show up later than that.
What you need to know - Alternative View
• Mobile phone manufacturers have tried to suppress the dangers of mobile phones by funding their own distorted research that concludes the phones are perfectly safe.
• All people -- but children and teens especially -- should be warned against using mobile phones due to the increased risk of brain tumors.
• Cell phone usage is shown to increase your risk of a brain tumor.