Originally published November 24 2004
The top ten super foods for preventing chronic disease
by Mike Adams, the Health Ranger, NaturalNews Editor
Bonnie C. Minsky discusses the benefits of eating 10 super foods: rice, cruciferous vegetables, pomegranates, cinnamon, avocados, onions, Wild Pacific salmon, nuts and seeds, turmeric and algae. Rice, which is alkalizing, is also gluten-free and has a low-allergy effect. Cruciferous vegetables help the body produce enzymes which detoxify cancer-causing chemicals in the body. The antioxidants in pomegranates help prevent cancer, heart disease and strokes. Cinnamon regulates blood sugar and cholesterol levels. The lutein in avocados benefits eyesight. The omega 2 fats prevent heart disease and diabetes. Heart disease can be reduced by eating an ounce of nuts and seeds daily. Turmeric helps destroy cancer cells and also has antibiotic and antifungal properties. Algae boosts the immune system.
These so-called super foods provide health benefits far beyond their recognized nutritional value.
- Recent research has shown that converted rice (has the same nutrients as brown rice without the bran) and basmati rice can even heal an inflamed digestive tract.
- POMEGRANATES are just beginning to gain popularity in the U.S. but have been popular in many other countries since biblical times.
- Pomegranates are powerful antioxidants that help prevent cancer, heart disease and stroke.
- CINNAMON contains a potent antioxidant called methylhydroxy chalcone polymer (MHCP).
- The most exciting recent news is its ability to improve blood sugar and cholesterol levels.
- One-half teaspoon daily can reduce fasting glucose by 18-29 percent, triglycerides by 23-30 percent and LDL cholesterol by 12-26 percent.
- AVOCADOS, contrary to popular belief, are not fattening.
- Some of their benefits include raising good (HDL) blood cholesterol, stabilizing blood sugar and providing glutathione to cleanse the liver.
- WILD PACIFIC SALMON is a powerhouse of omega-3 fats, which are proven to help prevent cardiovascular disease and diabetes.
- Flaxseed is unique in that it boasts a high omega-3 fat content, assists the body in converting alpha-linolenic acid into essential fats for the heart and brain and contains estrogen metabolism and lignan benefits.
- TURMERIC is an ingredient in curry powder that may help suppress and destroy the cancer cells in multiple myeloma and pancreatic cancer.
- ALGAE include chlorella, spirulina and blue-green algae.
- The amazing benefits of algae include boosting the immune system, detoxifying heavy metals and pesticides, aiding digestion, speeding up the healing process, alkalizing an acidic system and fighting bacterial infections associated with surgery.
- Bonnie Minsky is a Licensed and Certified Nutrition Specialist, Public Health Educator and Certified Menopause Educator with a private practice in Northbrook, Ill.
All content posted on this site is commentary or opinion and is protected under Free Speech. Truth Publishing LLC takes sole responsibility for all content. Truth Publishing sells no hard products and earns no money from the recommendation of products. NaturalNews.com is presented for educational and commentary purposes only and should not be construed as professional advice from any licensed practitioner. Truth Publishing assumes no responsibility for the use or misuse of this material. For the full terms of usage of this material, visit www.NaturalNews.com/terms.shtml