Home
Subscribe (free)
About NaturalNews
Contact Us
Write for NaturalNews
Media Info
Advertising Info
Fluorescent lights

Broken Compact Fluorescent Lights Release Mercury Into the Air: Over 100 Times the EPA Limit

Thursday, August 28, 2008 by: David Gutierrez, staff writer
Tags: fluorescent lights, health news, Natural News


Most Viewed Articles
https://www.naturalnews.com/024014_mercury_lights_compact_fluorescent.html
Delicious
diaspora
Print
Email
Share

(NaturalNews) Compact fluorescent light bulbs can release dangerous amounts of mercury into the air when they break and must be disposed of very carefully, according to a report by the state of Maine.

Compact fluorescent bulbs, which consume only about a quarter as much energy as traditional incandescent bulbs and last up to 10 times longer, all use mercury to produce light. They do not give off mercury when used properly, but the element can escape into the air if a bulb is broken. Mercury is a neurotoxin that can lead to brain and nervous disorders, particularly in children and developing fetuses.

In one study, researchers from the state of Maine shattered 65 compact fluorescent light bulbs and measured mercury levels in the air both before and after various cleanup methods.

"We found some very high levels [of mercury] even after we tried a number of cleanup techniques," said Mark Hyland, director of Maine's Bureau of Remediation and Waste Management. In some cases, mercury levels exceeded the federal government's chronic exposure maximums by up to 100 times.

There is no federal level set for acute mercury exposure, so many states have set their own guidelines either at or above the federal chronic levels. The levels of mercury measured by Maine researchers, however, exceeded even these higher standards.

Based on its research, the state of Maine recommends that if a compact fluorescent bulb breaks, the room should be well-ventilated, and children and pets should be removed. A vacuum cleaner should never be used to clean up the broken glass, even in a carpeted room. Instead, shards should be picked up with stiff paper or tape, then the area should be wiped down with a damp towel. All bulb fragments should be sealed in a screw-top jar and then removed from the house.

Join the Health Ranger's FREE email newsletter
Get breaking news alerts on GMOs, fluoride, superfoods, natural cures and more...
Your privacy is protected. Unsubscribe at any time. | Learn more...

comments powered by Disqus

Get alerted on heavy metals and pesticide test results for foods and supplements

Natural News is about to begin releasing lab test results for off-the-shelf food, supplement and pet food products, covering heavy metals, nutritive minerals, pesticides and herbicides. These details will be released exclusively to Natural News email newsletter subscribers (FREE) and will NOT be publicly posted on the website. To be alerted, join our free email newsletter now, and watch for lab test results in the weeks ahead.

Enter your email address below to subscribe to our email announcement list (but don't use gmail). Your privacy is protected and you can unsubscribe at any time. If you don't join our email list, you may never see our valuable content again via Facebook, Google or YouTube. CENSORSHIP has now reached EXTREME levels across the 'net. The truth is being suffocated. Subscribe now if you want to escape the delusional bubble of false reality being pushed by Google and Facebook.

Once you click subscribe, we will send you an email asking you to confirm your free subscription.