(NaturalNews) Sushi is a favorite among people of diverse ages and backgrounds. With a long history in Asian culinary tradition, sushi appeals to individuals all around the world. Typically, this type of food is perceived as healthy and safe. In fact, many individuals opt for sushi at lunch or dinner, because they believe that it's the healthier option. But before you head down to buy your favorite roll, take into consideration the following risks that are associated with this particular type of cuisine.High Caloric Intake
Sushi does offer many health benefits, but the idea that it is a low-calorie alternative to other types of food is misinformed. The fish itself is quite low in calories, but after adding sauces, fried tempura pieces, cream cheese and other extras, these rolls can pack quite the caloric punch. A healthy diet relies upon the right consumption of calories, so it is important that you understand exactly what you're eating to ensure that you are keeping your meals in line with your dietary needs.Mercury Poisoning
Tuna is notorious for high mercury content, and this is the type of fish that is used most frequently to make sushi. A neurotoxin, mercury can wreak havoc on the body and is particularly found in tuna, swordfish, marlin and shark. Some of the symptoms of mercury poisoning include vision impairment; tingling throughout the body; inability to coordinate movement; speech, hearing and walking difficulties; and muscle weakness.Parasites
The United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recommends cooking seafood to keep foodborne illness at bay. When eating sushi
, you opt not to have your fish cooked and can expose yourself to a wide range of viruses, bacteria and parasites. Parasites, in particular, are common in sushi that has not been prepared according to industry standards. These parasites can cause a wide range of health concerns, making those affected quite miserable for several days. Some of the symptoms of a parasite include nausea, diarrhea, vomiting and the expulsion of a tapeworm. Furthermore, parasites can create a great deal of pain in the abdomen, as they can damage the lining of the stomach, intestines and other elements of the digestive tract.Pickled Ginger and Wasabi
Pickled ginger is a condiment that is almost always served with sushi. This is, oftentimes, an acquired taste that some people simply don't like, and overeating this particular substance can lead to upset stomach, irritation and heartburn. But there are more serious dangers lurking within pickled ginger servings. Oftentimes, this sushi ingredient contains food
coloring, such as Red #40, that can cause allergies, hyperactivity and congestion. Additionally, depending upon the manufacturer's recipe, pickled ginger frequently contains preservatives and other chemical substances that can cause vast health problems, such as potassium sorbate, MSG, aspartame and sodium benzoate.
Wasabi, too, may contain highly dangerous chemical additives. Some of these may include artificial flavors and colors, rapeseed oil, citric acid, corn flour, soy and cornstarch.Is Eating Sushi Worth the Risk?
As mentioned previously, there are numerous health benefits that sushi has to offer. This article goes over just a few of the ingredients that are typically found in favorite sushi rolls that can cause health concerns. The trick is in ensuring that the sushi you eat is prepared properly and with clean ingredients so that you don't have to suffer through mercury poisoning, having a parasitic worm and other highly painful experiences.Sources:http://www.symptomfind.comhttp://naturallysavvy.comhttp://science.naturalnews.comAbout the author:
Alex Malinsky aka RawGuru is an award winning chef and one of the leading experts in the field of raw food. He started to learn about raw foods at the early at of 15. After 10 years on the raw food diet he continues to be on the cutting edge of nutritional research and product development. Visit Alex's website at: www.RawGuru.com
for more information.