(NaturalNews) The famous quote by the ancient Greek physician Hippocrates states, "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." And this timeless adage still holds incredible truth today, as the most effective way to protect the body against disease is to feed it the nutrients it needs to build strong immunity and a healthy digestive tract, which is where the bulk of immunity resides. Here are six food-based medicines that could end up saving your life from chronic disease and early death:
1. Garlic. Also known as Allium sativum L., garlic, which some have fondly nicknamed a "masterpiece of nature," is one of the most medicinally potent herbs you can take regularly for vibrant health. Recognized for its ability to prevent and treat bacterial infections, yeasts, fungi, and viruses, as well as promote healthy blood flow; lower blood cholesterol levels, and detoxify heavy metals and other poisons, garlic truly is a medicinal superfood of the highest order. (http://books.google.com)
Deriving garlic's many health benefits can be as simple as merely slicing up a fresh clove and adding it to a meal, or taking a high-quality garlic supplement daily. No matter how you choose to take it, consuming garlic regularly can help prevent colds, influenza, bacterial infections, blood clots, abnormal blood sugar levels, free radical damage, heavy metal toxicity, chronic inflammatory diseases, and cancer, among other conditions. (http://www.naturalnews.com/garlic.html)
2. Raw honey. Honey is another "superfood" medicine that has been used for centuries to boost immunity and provide a lasting source of energy. And because it basically never spoils, honey is a great food-based medicine to keep on hand at all times. Internally, honey can help treat bacterial infections, alleviate sore throats, subdue an upset stomach, and even cure bladder infections. Topically, honey is effective at treating eczema, canker sores, and even cuts and types of skin damage. (http://www.globalhealingcenter.com)
Manuka honey is particularly beneficial, as it contains exceptionally potent antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and antiseptic properties that are unmatched by any pharmaceutical drug on the market. As with all forms of honey; however, be sure to never feed this medicinal substance to children under the age of one, as their intestinal tracts are not developed enough to inhibit the growth of Clostridium botulinum, which can cause botulism. (http://www.naturalnews.com/Manuka_honey.html)
3. Spirulina. A nutrient-dense blue-green algae that has been around since the beginning of time, spirulina is rich in amino acids, which are essentially pre-digested proteins readily available for quick absorption. A highly-bioavailable superfood, spirulina also contains an impressive array of essential fatty acids, including omega-3 fatty acids, as well as B vitamins, carotenoid antioxidants, chlorophyll, and polysaccharides. (http://www.naturalnews.com/034194_spirulina_superfood.html)
As far as your health is concerned, spirulina is a spectacular detoxifier that aids in the expulsion of heavy metals. Spirulina is also an amazing energizer, as it contains a perfect balance of protein, vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients. (http://www.naturalnews.com/spirulina.html)
4. Apples. You may not think of them as necessarily vital for sustaining life, but apples are an antioxidant powerhouse loaded with plenty of food-based medicine. Besides having a high fiber content, which promotes healthy digestion, apples, and mainly apple skins, are rich in polyphenols, flavonoids, and various other disease-fighting antioxidants (http://www.naturalnews.com/033945_organic_apples_health_food.html). And since apples come in many colors -- red, yellow, pink green, and various combinations of these -- eating a wide variety of apples regularly can help guard your body against debilitating disease. (http://www.timeforwellness.org)
5. Chia seeds. The ancient Mayans referred to it as "strength," but today we simply call them chia seeds. And if you are not eating chia seeds regularly, you are missing out on one of the most vibrant superfoods known to man. Among their many benefits are the fact that chia seeds are a complete and perfect protein, containing roughly 23 percent protein per seed. Chia seeds are also packed with omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, amino acids, vitamins, trace minerals, and dietary fiber. (http://www.naturalnews.com/027035_chia_seeds_health.html)
When added to water or other liquids, chia seeds develop a gelatinous coating around the seeds that buffer the exposure of carbohydrates to digestive enzymes in the stomach and gut, effectively slowing their conversion into blood sugar. Chia seeds also help regulate water intake and mineral absorption, balancing electrolyte levels and cell nutrition (http://www.naturalnews.com/chia.html).
6. Raw or sprouted almonds. Truly raw almonds, not the pasteurized and irradiated imitations commonly sold in U.S. stores (http://www.naturalnews.com/021989_almonds_raw.html), are one of nature's most perfect medicinal foods. Possessing an optimal balance of protein, calcium, magnesium, and dietary fiber -- almonds have the highest dietary fiber content of any nut or seed -- almonds are another complete food much like chia seeds and spirulina. (http://www.naturalnews.com/006109.html)
If you are looking for a truly whole food that is rich in healthy fats and plant phytochemicals, which promote heart and cardiovascular health, raw or sprouted almonds are the ideal medicinal food to always keep on hand.
FREE online report shows how we can save America through a nutrition health care
revolution. "Eating healthy is patriotic!" Click here to read it now...
Healing Power of Sunlight and Vitamin D
In this exclusive interview, Dr. Michael Holick reveals fascinating facts on
how vitamin D is created and used in the human body to ward off chronic diseases
like cancer, osteoporosis, mental disorders and more. Click here to read it now...
Get the Full Story
The International Medical Council on Vaccination has released, exclusively through
NaturalNews.com, a groundbreaking document containing the signatures of physicians,
brain surgeons and professors, all of which have signed on to a document stating
that vaccines pose a significant risk of harm to the health of children.
Click here to read it now...
Ranger Storable Organics
GMO-free, chemical-free foods and superfoods for long-term storage and preparedness.
See selection at www.StorableOrganics.com