(NaturalNews) Acne scars are the result of inflammation induced by acne, an unpleasant skin disorder commonly experienced during adolescence. Although the scars - which usually manifest as deep pits and indentations - are not medically problematic, they are physically unattractive and frequently contribute towards low self-esteem and even depression.
While there are a number of products on the market that claim to heal acne scars, they are often quite expensive and almost always derived from unnatural products. Fortunately, there are a number of home remedies for these scars that are just as effective, if not more so, as allopathic products.
Home remedies for acne scars
- When it comes to skin conditions, olive oil is one of the most versatile substances on Earth, and it contains a number of beneficial properties that help keep your skin looking healthy. Firstly, olive oil acts as a natural moisturizer which helps maintain the elasticity of your skin. And secondly, olive oil contains a number of antioxidants that aid in skin repair. Simply massage the olive oil directly onto the affected areas once a day.
- Although baking soda can be purchased as a microdermabrasion treatment in cosmetics departments, plain old baking soda will work just as effectively. Mix one teaspoon of baking soda with two teaspoons of purified water and rub it directly onto the affected area for one minute, then rinse. This will remove any dead or damaged skin, thus aiding collagen production, which in turn aids cellular renewal.
- Lemon juice is an extremely beneficial cure for acne scars
due to its ability to greatly reduce the discoloration associated with them. To use, apply lemon juice directly to your scars using a cotton ball once a day. Following this, apply a natural moisturizer, such as olive oil, to further aid the skin's renewal process. Although the effectiveness of lemon juice will depend on the type of acne scars
you have, you should see a noticeable improvement with continued use.
- Good quality water is one of the most effective remedies for any ailment involving the skin. In addition to keeping your skin hydrated, water greatly aids in the removal of toxins and helps in the building of new skin cells. As such, to help in the repair of skin damage caused by acne
, drink a plentiful supply of purified water every day.
- Cucumber juice is a natural astringent that helps to open the pores on your face. This allows for the easy removal of the dirt and oils that cause acne in the first place. Additionally, cucumber juice has natural anti-inflammatory properties that cool the skin
and can help reduce the redness associated with acne scars. To take advantage of these healing properties, simply grate or juice a skinned cucumber and apply it to your skin using a cotton ball. Continue this regimen once a day until the scars, and the skin around them, are healed.
Sources for this article include:http://www.teatronaturale.comhttp://scarsandspots.comhttp://www.naturalnews.comhttp://science.naturalnews.comAbout the author:
Michael Ravensthorpe is an independent writer whose research interests include nutrition, alternative medicine, and bushcraft. He is the creator of the website, Spiritfoods
, through which he promotes the world's healthiest foods.