(NaturalNews) Interstitial Cystitis (IC) is a chronic, idiopathic condition of the bladder that is characterized by pelvic pain and excessive urinary urgency and frequency. This condition is commonly referred to as painful bladder syndrome and often goes undiagnosed. Utilize natural strategies to beat interstitial cystitis naturally.
The latest research is indicating that IC is much more prevalent than originally thought. Estimates say that up to eight million or 5 to 6 percent of women in the US may have IC. It is thought that up to four million men may have this condition as well although in men it can be commonly mistaken for chronic prostatitis.
Major symptoms with IC
The most prominent symptom of IC is chronic pelvic pain that is often relieved upon urination. When the bladder refills, the individual experiences the discomfort again. Urinary frequency can be between 16 times per day and as high as 60 times daily for some individuals. This can obviously cause nocturia that interrupts the individual's sleep. Many individuals with IC also experience painful intercourse.
For many individuals with IC they experience courses of remission and acute flare-ups. For women, symptoms tend to get worse during ovulation or during the premenstrual period. Symptoms seem to be similar to a urinary tract infection (UTI) but the condition is not infectious and has a negative urinary culture.
Chronic inflammation and IC
The leading theory for the cause of IC is chronic inflammation in the bladder that irritates the protective mucous layer of the bladder. Glycosaminoglycan (GAG) protects the bladder
and other mucosal membranes and joints from inflammatory damage. In the bladder it maintains a stable layer of water and prevents invasion of the bladder tissue by bacteria and the irritating substances in the urine.
With individuals suffering from IC they have a defect that allows irritating substances to seep through the urothelium and irritate the tissue. The body responds to this by signaling inflammatory mediators and initiating an inflammatory process that further accentuates the symptoms.
Symptoms are often exacerbated by foods high in acids such as coffee, carbonated beverages, alcohol, citrus fruits, spicy foods and tomatoes. Foods high in arylalkylamines may trigger symptoms in some individuals. These foods include beer, cheese, yogurt, bananas, chocolate and wine. A food journal should be used so the individual can relate food and beverage intake to symptomatic changes.
Candida is the major culprit
The greatest risk factors for developing IC are a history of recurring UTIs and history of anti-biotic usage. Both of these factors open a portal for the development of a chronic Candida
infection that appears to be the root of IC symptoms. The Candida yeast breaks down the urothelium.
Steps to beat Candida naturally and overcome IC
1. Remove all sugar and grains from diet as these are the food supply for the yeast
2. Use naturally fermented vegetables such as sauerkraut, kimchi, pickles, etc.
3. Use fermented raw dairy from 100 percent grass-fed cows. This would be raw cheeses, amasi, yogurt (if tolerable - not if they increase symptoms).
4. Use fermented drinks like apple cider vinegar, kombucha, coconut water kefir and fermented herbal botanicals.
5. Use coconut oil
- the lauric and caprylic acids within it are highly anti-fungal.
6. Use strong probiotic supplements with over 100 billion CFU and a diverse array of strains including healthy yeast organisms like saccharomyces boulardii
7. Make soups and stews from 100 percent grass-fed beef or pasture chicken stock. The stock from the bone marrow of these animals is rich in raw materials that rebuild the glycosaminoglycan membrane.
8. Use lots of garlic, ginger, turmeric, onions and oregano which are all very anti-fungal.Sources for this article include:http://www.cairx.com/interstitial_cystitis.htmhttp://dralexrinehart.comhttp://www.naturalnews.com/032154_candida_solutions.htmlAbout the author:
Dr. David Jockers owns and operates Exodus Health Center in Kennesaw, Ga. He is a Maximized Living doctor. His expertise is in weight loss, customized nutrition & exercise, & structural corrective chiropractic care. For more information go to www.drjockers.com
To find a Maximized Living doctor near you go to www.maximizedliving.com
Dr. Jockers is also available for long distance phone consultations to help you beat disease and reach your health goals